December 5, 2014

December Book Report

1 || Lost in Translation: An Illustrated Compendium of Untranslatable Words from Around the World, by Ella Francis Sanders (Purchase)

As a lover of writing, books, and words, this is the quintessential  coffee table book for people like me. Ella Francis has taken a collection of words from a variety of foreign languages that cannot be translated easily into English. For each word, she's given a definition and a simple, playful illustration. For instance, one of my favorites is Waldeinsamkeit--German for walking alone in the woods, or Komorebi--Japanese for sunlight filtered through trees. This would be a great gift for others who love to devour and savor words.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Blogging for Books, as part of Waterbrook Multnomah‘s Book Review Blogger Program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.

************

2 || Unwrapping the Greatest Gift: A Family Celebration of Christmas, by Ann Voskamp (Purchase, Author's Site)

Unwrapping the Greatest Gift takes author Ann Voskamp's book The Greatest Gift and expands it into an advent devotional for the whole family to enjoy together. For each day you open the book, you'll find a scripture verse, a short passage by Voskamp, along with companion questions and activities. Each day focuses on one of the symbols found on the traditional Jesse tree as well.

Voskamp's writing holds just as poetically beautiful and theologically rich in Unwrapping the Greatest Gift as is true for all her previous works. In some ways, the way she weaves her words for children is in the same vain as Sally Lloyd Jones writes (author of The Jesus Storybook Bible and other children's literature): simple, but profound--and to be enjoyed by both kids and adults. The only thing I felt lacking, were the illustrations--but this is simply a matter of personal preference, and does not take away from the book's overall powerful message.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher, Tyndale, through the book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” *Book Cover image made available for use in conjunction with a review. 

***********

3 || Fierce Convictions: The Extraordinary Life of Hannah More--Poet, Reformer, Abolitionist, by Karen Swallow Prior (Purchase, Author's Site)

Many people have become more aware of the work of great men like William Wilberforce and their work in ending the slave trade in England, thanks to recent biographies out there on the market. However, the ending of the slave trade did not rest on his shoulders alone, but was carried on the shoulders of many people--Hannah More being one of those lesser known individuals. In Karen Swallow Prior's newest work, she introduces the reader to this courageous woman and her work in aiding the end of slavery, educating the poor, urging civility among the masses, and more--and all through her pen and weaving of words.

My knowledge of Hannah More was rather minimal--I had heard her name pop-up in my reading of a couple of biographies on William Wilberforce a handful of times, but never knew the extent of her work in helping end the English slave trade. I often find that biographies that are rich in their information, but enjoyable to read at the same time difficult to find, but Karen Swallow Prior has achieved just this in her writing. If you've enjoyed any of Eric Metaxas' biographies, then I would recommend giving Prior's a shot as well since the two write in the same vain in my opinion. The book itself is a little over 300 pages; just long enough to get a full picture of the life of Hannah More, yet short enough to keep the reader's attention. I enjoyed this work greatly, and it's quickly become one of the best biographies I've read in recent years.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

2 comments :

  1. Oooh, I was wondering about Fierce Convictions since I saw you had recommended on GoodReads. I look forward to finding a copy and learning more about Hannah More!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll really enjoy it Elle

      Delete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.