October 13, 2014

Autumnal Joys

The scents and scenes of autumn are finally being welcomed here, and it's my favorite season of them all. But it's all short-lived in this area, so I have to relish it while I can.

Autumn is what ushers in that steady rhythm of work and play for me. August and September are always crazy busy, and I wear a stress level to match it. But by the time October shows its lovely face, I've settled into my work routine with a new group of kiddos, and finally have gotten around to planning get-togethers with friends and family that I put off temporarily. 

Everything about this season speaks joy to me.

I love how the weather finally hits that perfect temperature; it's cool enough to wear jeans and comfy tops without having to wear a parka on top of everything. It's the start of all things cozy: fuzzy socks, sweaters, blankets, and sleeping under down comforters. If you've never slept underneath a down comforter on a crisp, cool, breezy night, you've missed out friend. I want to perpetually live in the state of cozy.

Weekends are spent hitting the trails to enjoy the scenic views and taking trips to local pumpkin patches and apple orchards. Evenings in front of the occasional campfire or snuggled in bed watching old black and white movies--because that Cary Grant... he's charming and classy, folks. I like to steal away to bookstores with a cider or chai in hand, because this is also the season I tend to romanticize, and books--words--are one of the love languages I speak so well. I've always thought this would be the perfect time of year to fall in love... 

And can we just talk about the food for a moment? Personally, this is prime baking season: apple dumplings, apple crisp, apple crumble top pie, pumpkin bread, cinnamon rolls, cranberry hand-pies, and maple scones. Pretty much just all things apple, pumpkin, cinnamon, maple, and cranberry. Let's not fail to mention the hearty stews and soups either. Or kettle corn. Or butternut squash. Or sweet potatoes. Or turkey. Just comfort food galore.


Enough about my fall favorites though, share with me some of yours!

3 comments :

  1. Oh, yes! These autumn joys are wonderful; I just love the colors of the leaves, the beauty in that change - and of course, being able to wear sweaters and boots again. Yes, please. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boots for the win--all the way I say!

      Delete
  2. Natalie, I wish I could just print this and carry it in my pocket. None of the women I know seem to understand the wonderful that is fall. :) I can always count on you! I think I have worn out all of my Meg Ryan movies. I even caught Sleepless in Seattle on Netflix finally.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.