September 2, 2014

The God of Wonder


When I think of wonder I think of G.K. Chesterton. Among many of his incredible writings on the Christian faith, he talks of the lenses of wonderment God's people ought to see through:
The world is not lacking in wonders, but in a
sense of wonder. ~G.K. Chesterton
There are parts of nature I'm not a fan of... like camping. But there are other aspects that I love to drink in. I love bouquets of flowers freshly picked, daisy chains that remind me of my early care-free childhood days. I love the sounds to be tuned in--cicadas buzz, streams bubble, leaves rustle--and the sounds I tune out. I love orchards and gardens I can sneak food from, a view of a waterfall or at the top of a mountain, toes buried deep in sand, and the fog that follows fall all around the globe as it goes. Nature is all so complicated in the dozens of systems God has orchestrated for it flourish, and yet we step back and see simple, pure beauty in it. 

Or think of babies. Is there nothing more wonder-filled then a newborn sleeping? Put a sleeping baby in my arms and everything in me will conveniently get absorbed in this little one. Everything else in the world can wait. Count the steady breaths-one at a time; count the fingers and toes--each have their own unique print that no one else in the world has fashioned before or ever will. And at times I sit and think about what babies must dream of. They sleep so much that first year, they must dream of so much. Really, when I get to heaven I'm going to ask God about that.

The world is weary and tired, and forever stuck with moving onward at a high speed. "Stop and smell the roses" feels like forgotten sage advice.

Nothing is so small or so insignificant. Nothing so plain or wallflower-like in any form on the canvas of God's creation. Will we put on the spectacles to see it? So many people go the majority of their lives never noticing the insurmountable wonder around them. It's grievous how often we spend our daily lives not in awe.

I think God gets in awe just as much as we do with the things of this earth. Better yet He gets in awe of His children because He created us--His image and own likeness is forever engraved on our hearts. And it's He who woos our hearts towards the glorious--we find and seek it, display it and show it; He is glorified and turns and smiles over us. Mankind is the greatest thing He's ever made and He is in awe of His own handiwork, His own craftsmanship.

Let wonder and awe swell in you.
God says every morning, "Do it again" to the sun; and every evening, "Do it again" to the moon. It may not be automatic necessity that makes all daisies alike; it may be that God makes every daisy separately, but has never got tired of making them. It may be that He has the eternal appetite of infancy; for we have sinned and grown old, and our Father is younger than we. ~G.K. Chesterton

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.