July 7, 2014

Pursuit at its Zenith


I love a good sappy romantic movie. Give me some Thai take-out and dessert and I'll be content for the evening. Sure it's pretty much the same plot line over and over again: Boy meets girl, then boy and girl get together or hitched in the end. We all saw it coming--but, I don't think that's why we really keep spending the money on the latest chick-flick. It's not about if the couple will be together, but the how. It's the idea of pursuit that resonates within us. It's the process of a man taking the initiative to know and win a woman's heart that we all deeply admire and desire for ourselves.

Pursuit. It's a thread that weaves together beautiful love stories. But it's not just contained to our earthly love stories, for earthly love stories merely echo and reflect the divine love story between you and Jesus Christ as well. When that significant other or spouse pursues you, there's a reminder that God pursues you too… only His pursuit is so much more grandeur and magnificent. It's pursuit taken to its zenith. Just try and wrap your mind around it: A man may bring you a dozen roses, but God directs your gaze towards a field of wildflowers and whispers, "These are for you! Hundreds upon thousands of them. Enjoy their splendor and fragrance that I created!" A man may take you out to a posh restaurant, but God says, "That chocolate cheesecake that just melts in your mouth--I made that very flavor! Had I not, you wouldn't find that slice of bliss as tantalizing to your taste buds you do." How awesome is that? (I'm easily satisfied with cheesecake if you caught that.)

You see, God is extraordinarily active in pursuing us. There's a passage in the book of Hosea that I've always loved:
And I will betroth you to me forever. I will betroth you to me in righteousness and in justice, in steadfast love and in mercy. I will betroth you to me in faithfulness. And you shall know the Lord. -Hosea 2:19&20
Here we see a wedding taking place in these couple of verses. The word betroth means "to engage in matrimony/marriage." Engage. I love. that. word. Its has action behind it. Christ is not sitting around just watching us from the sidelines, indifferent, nor does His pursuit of us wane over time. No. Jesus is always actively pursuing each of us in such a way that is unique and personal to the inner workings of our hearts in order to bind us closer in relationship with Him. 

So be encouraged in His love for you. Whatever season you may be walking through right now, He is whispering, reaching out, pursuing you. My prayer for you today is that your eyes will be open to His engaging love, and in turn you'll respond by seeking and enjoying Him all the more.
One thing have I asked of the Lord, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord...You have said, "Seek my face" My heart says to you, "Your face, Lord, do I seek." -Psalm 27:4&5

~This post was originally written and shared on Darling Companion, 2013, by Natalie Grimm~

6 comments :

  1. God and I were just talking about this today. Impeccable timing, friend! So, when's that visit...? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! We'll revisit the whole trip thing after graduation in December, but it is on the bucket list ;D

      Delete
  2. This is so good, Natalie! What a comfort to know that we serve a God of action who does not sit idly, hoping we'll get through the twists and turns of this life on our own. Instead, he engages with us and walks through it with us, pursuing our heart along the way. His intentional pursuit is more real to me in this season of my life and I am slowly starting to understand what it means to be pursued by God. In the years as a young teen dealing with the legalistic pursuit of earning God's love, I completely missed the point that He chose me. He pursued me. He loved me first. Thanks for the needed reminder to look to his loving pursuit of my heart as the first and foremost love story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing parts of your story and life Elle, I'd say God is definitely making this really evident right now, which I give thanks for =)

      Delete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.