June 12, 2014

Home Behind The Sun

The sweetest things in all my life has been the longing... to find the place where all the beauty came from. ~C. S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
Written in the vain of Ann Voskamp and C.S. Lewis (a rich, poetic deepness), Home Behind the Sun: Connect with God in the Brilliance of the Everyday is a beautiful collection of exposés that explore seeking and admiring the beauty in our everyday lives, as well as in one another. As image bearers we were created and designed as vessels to hold God's glory. This is what makes us what Willard and Locy call 'brilliance makers.' It's such a weighty truth that so often we forget in the daily activities of our lives. But, throughout the book, the authors beckon us to stop and see God's glory all around us, because life through these lenses is anything but mundane or ordinary. Life is a messy, beautiful, divine adventure to be had and enjoyed.

Home Behind the Sun hinges itself on these glory truths, but then takes the reader on a journey to see what it actually looks like in the life of the author's everyday lives, with the hope that the reader themselves would start to see all the glory God wants to shine in their own. As a lover of poetry and literature, I enjoyed having tidbits of the likes of Lewis, Longfellow, and Flannery O'Connor painted into the work. Really, one could pick up and read any chapter they wished in the moment; no need to read in the regular linear fashion. Reading the words in this book was like opening a window to let warm sun rays in to shine. It's a book I will keep out to pick up whenever I need reminding of how extraordinary all of life, from the big to the minuscule, truly is when I start to gaze at it as God would.


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

4 comments :

  1. Beautiful, excellent review, Natalie. Craig follows you on Twitter and he was impressed you got tweeted by Nelson. :) You're a celebrity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Craig... I honestly don't know what to say to this (lol)! Hope you're all doing well and more settled in with your move =)

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful review! I will check out this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one will be right up your reading alley Jade!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.