May 15, 2014

Beginning to Unriddle the Heart


What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us. ~A.W. Tozer
I think that when you start dealing with your heart, that's when you start to "get" this whole grace thing. The Christian walk takes on this whole new form. It's no longer about me showing up to church every Sunday, doing a couple of service projects, singing a couple songs, and following rules (which, honestly, I've always felt that a lot of the unspoken rules that other people have made up, are just stupid). The path of Christianity suddenly takes on this beautiful, passionate, joyful, life giving, terrible, frustrating, messy form. It's horribly wonderful. It's living in constant tension. But, it's great.

The question begging to be asked then is why does this heart transformation elude us? Why is it so hard to surrender? At the end of the day, I think it almost always comes down to these three things:
  1. We don't know God's character
  2. We've got issues with idolatry 
  3. We've got a faulty understanding of how sanctification works
In Matthew 16, I think Jesus asks one of the most compelling questions in all of scripture: "But who do you say that I am?" (verse 15)

That word 'but' in there is massive. It implies that we put out of mind what others say of Jesus and examine who we as individuals, personally say of this man Jesus. Not who does my pastor say is Jesus, nor what my parents said of him; not who does Beth Moore say Jesus is or what the news or the Discovery Channel is saying... "Natalie, who do you say that I am?"

I'm not saying Bible teachers and preachers don't inform us on who Jesus is (sorry Discovery Channel, you just flat out don't have enough credibility to play here), but we have to take a step back and start with examining with who we each believe Jesus is. That's the starting point with unriddling the heart. As Tozer comments, this is the most important thing about each of us, because it reveals what we believe to be God's character.

We cannot afford to skip the whole examining of our hearts, which means we're going to have to ask ourselves hard questions. What we each say and we each do merely reflect what we believe about who our Creator is, and what he has said about us.

So if you're with me through this blog series, there's homework this weekend. We need to take time to ask and reflect on...
Who do I say Jesus is?

2 comments :

  1. You ask great questions! Independence and independent thinking is so necessary to personal growth as a Christian.

    Something worth pondering :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something to be said for giving people space to make their walk with Christ their own for sure.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.