April 23, 2014

Brew Tea. Minister to People.


I loved my older-mentor friend Kelly the day I walked into her kitchen and she offered me a cup of tea. She pulled out this tin from her cupboard overflowing with a dozen of different options to choose from. Coffee gives my heart those pitter-patter, joyful feelings just the same. Tea and coffee are a love language... the one that Dr. Chapman mistakenly left out of his famous book. 

Sometimes we over think what ministering and loving on others has to look like. We get stuck into thinking it has to look a certain way or that it has to have a program format and flow to it. Great things have come from ministry programs; I think we should keep many of them going. 

But sometimes we just need a warm cup of tea people, and to be present with another human. Nothing more. 

Microwaving tea is totally sacrilegious and scandalous. Tea ought to be brewed in a kettle on the stove. Not really because it makes it taste better--what am I saying? Of course it tastes better that way--but because brewing a pot of tea forces you to linger. It teaches you how to sit and just be.

I get so caught up in doing at times. For weeks that's been my life. Mainly because I'm a Senior and I'll be student teaching in the fall, so this was like dead-line season for practically everything I need to graduate in December. I have not been ministering to others well during this time. I have not let others minister me well either. Socializing has been paltry. Yesterday was my last day: I turned in major projects, hundreds of pages long added up collectively, and I sighed some relief, because there's been a lot of tears shed and hours of sleep lost. (And if I have to hear another person rant and complain about teachers not working as hard as everybody else... just don't even go there...)

You know what I need? Tea. Good company and conversation. I just need to be, and I think so do you. Three small acts, and nearly at no financial cost, but a possibly enormous opportunity to minister to one another. Some of the most life-changing moments in my life have happened at a table across from someone else, with a mug of steamy goodness--nothing more, nothing less, and nothing fancy.

Sometime this week, let's do that. Whether it's you allowing someone else to minister to your heart and soul, or you providing the space for another to be ministered to. Keep it simple: Brew tea. Minister.

13 comments :

  1. oh my goodness, i know how you must feel with all that business that happens right before you student teach. it wasn't that long ago that i was you.

    simple human interaction is so underrated it's not even funny. i hope you gets lots of what you need to get you through this season! tea is the best ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... I'm just at that point where I'm like, "Look, I'm ready to teach... I'm done with writing a portfolio to show you that." stage

      Delete
  2. I really, really loved this. It's this simple. My mentor also started me on ministering with tea--not because it's a "thing" she does, but because she loves tea and loves people. Inviting someone into our life and up to our tables is a big deal. And the budget and workload for that kind of ministry is minimal if you already love tea (and have the stash of goods already). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tea stashes are great investments!

      Delete
  3. This makes me smile! I am very much a "doer" and am coming to realize that even though I haven't exactly accomplished what I've wanted, it's time to rest and share good times with those I love. Plus, any excuse to have tea, with a friend or in solitude, is a great thing. Not every act of evangelism must be complex and deep. This post is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Not every act of evangelism must be complex and deep."

      Yes, Indeed.

      Delete
  4. This is beautiful. And so true. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome. First off, because I LOVE tea. Second, YES to brewing tea and how it challenges us to linger (which, in a fast-pased society like our own, initially feels like a misstep to our rhythm, but is so needed!). Third, I have also not been as intentional in ministering as I would hope. But I am very encouraged by this post (as well as a desire I had since I moved into my apartment almost 2 years ago), to open my doors more often to intentional conversations while sipping on delicious tea.

    Excited to sip some tea while we catch-up on Skype in the morning!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved getting to catch up with you on Skype today Elle! =D

      Delete
  6. As I sit here enjoying some tea this warmed my heart! You are such a kindred spirit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's sweet of you Jess! Hope you're well!

      Delete
  7. You poor thing! You have been swamped, but it sounds like the end is near. How nice that you have an older mentor friend. We all need one of those!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.