March 16, 2014

Of Shamrocks and Beer Bread


I'm lucky enough to almost always have St. Patrick's day off thanks to spring breaks. A couple of friends and I have established a annual movie-marathon to celebrate and just rest for an extra day. Be sure to adorn something green and to eat well friends! Here's a favorite recipe of mine to try your hand at for tomorrow's dinner if you're into the whole cabbage and corned beef thing (which I am).

I love this bread recipe because it's so dang easy it's not even funny. So give it a go, because it's pretty much foolproof. 

Ingredients...
  • 3 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour 
  • 3 tablespoons of sugar 
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder 
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt 
  • 1 bottle or can (12 ounces) of a beer of your choice 
  • 1 egg beaten 
Directions: In a large bowl combine together all the dry ingredients together: flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the beer and mix dough until it begins to form a ball. Take dough out of the bowel, and on a floured surface knead and form it into a loaf. With a serrated knife, cut an 'X' into the top of bread, then transfer loaf to a baking sheet. Brush the beaten egg over the top of the loaf and proceed to bake it in the oven at 375 degrees for roughly 45 minutes (or until the crust is golden brown). Slice, serve, and enjoy!

4 comments :

  1. i will be doing this! it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Spring Break - and St. Patty's Day! Hope you enjoy your tradition with friends, Natalie. :)

    PS: thank you for the recent blog comment - it was ironic to reply to a comment from this today as I was just thinking I needed to play catch up on Heart Stirrings. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.