March 10, 2014

God's Pleasure, Writing, & Courage

Journaling is keeping company with God, God who asks as He walks through the Garden, "Where are you?" Journaling answers: Here I am. ~Ann Vosakamp
I'm sure you've seen the movie, or someone you know has quoted it to you, but in Chariots of Fire, the character Eric Liddell in a spat with his sister says, "...when I run I feel God's pleasure."

I'm guessing there's one thing, or maybe a few, that give you that feeling too, and for me one of those is writing. It doesn't matter how bad or how well at it I may be, writing will always bring a feeling of God's pleasure.

I've noticed that I'm better when I've written. It's like some strange nutrient my heart and soul must have to flourish, to grow.

And as crazy or strange as it may sound I genuinely like the person I become when I string together words here on the blog or in a journal, because...

This is me keeping company with God. Their are tangible fingerprints of my sanctification, the working out, the wrestling of my salvation. Tangible fingerprint of a messy, broken, but beautiful and glorious redemption. This is why I won't delete my messy or poorly written work. Without it I wouldn't be able to see growth, and writing is a physical record of not just my growth, but of God's faithfulness and goodness to me. Writing can be sanctifying.

And this is me having courage. I believe that's it's widely accepted that writing is a creative endeavor, and as such it often often calls us to be vulnerable.

It's not so much about me manipulating words to form great or lovely sentences, but rather God pruning me through it that's important.
Music and art and writing: extravagant, essential, the act of spilling something, a cup running over… The simultaneous cry of ‘you must change your life, and welcome home.’ I’ve been trying to write songs again, and I’ve been hitting a maze of dead ends. I want the songs to reveal something to me, teach me something. It’s slow going. I’m not sure where I’m going. Uncertainty abounds. But the writing works on me little by little and begins to change me. That’s why I would recommend not putting off writing if it’s something you feel called to: if you put it off, then the writing can’t do the work that it needs to do to you. Yes, I think there’s something there. If you don’t do the work, the work can’t change you. ~Lindford Detweiler

10 comments :

  1. Love this. I can definitely relate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If writing excites one/revives one/heals one, it's a noble and worthwhile thing, and even if one feels frustrated with a certain project, it's still a noble thing. There's something relieving about being able to step back and see the bigger picture.

    Noticing your creations creating you is so fascinating! <3 And journaling is one of those free places you can be yourself in the presence of God. Just curious, do you keep a paper journal or write only on the blog/computer?

    So glad to read your words again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, I write in journals, I write on my laptop and here on the blog, and I write on post-its... because I have not learned to have a journal in arms reach at all times.

      Delete
  3. Ah, so good! I totally agree. Journaling has been a great way to document the growth and adventures that God has brought me through in the past years. I have several journals I have been writing in and it is so humbling to read them and remember different seasons of suffering, but also seasons of immense joy. Sometimes I re-read things the Holy Spirit was teaching me in a tough season and it encourages and teaches me all over again. In an odd way, my younger self is sometimes instructing my older self :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I liken it to my personal "Ebenezers" (since you're a fan of old hymns friend).

      Delete
  4. So true, Natalie. I love to write but I'm definitely quite tentative about it so I know what you mean when you say it takes courage. "Writing is me having courage" - Couldn't agree more :) And just so you know, I am so glad that you have the courage to write - your words bless me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "And this is me having courage. I believe that's it's widely accepted that writing is a creative endeavor, and as such it often often calls us to be vulnerable."
    Very true indeed. It takes a lot of courage. And a lot of vulnerability. Both of which I need everyday, more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AMEN! I've often thought of that line from Chariots of Fire while writing. I also sometimes say "I don't know what I think about that until I write about it." I really do have to write, or type, something for my brain to process it, especially when it comes to my inner workings and spiritual growth. Writing in a journal takes courage, and writing on a blog takes even more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that second quote too. It's so true for me as well.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.