March 12, 2014

Because There's a Whole Lot of Sweetness Around You

I want a life that sizzles and pops and makes me laugh out loud... I want to eat cold tangerines and sing out loud in the car with the windows open and wear pink shoes and stay up all night laughing and paint my walls the exact color of the sky right now. I want to sleep hard on clean white sheets and throw parties and eat ripe tomatoes and read books so good they make me jump up and down, and I want my everyday to make God belly laugh, glad that he gave life to someone who loves the gift. ~Shauna Niequist, Cold Tangerines
Sometimes it's shameful how quick I am to forget the sweeter side of life.

Last week was just one of those weeks you know? I was so, so, so stressed. I'm in a season where stress is simply a never leaving house guest, but it was like society as a whole decided to add an additional 100 things to my plate. (I may am exaggerating... but you know...)

I'm an introvert, which means I internalize everything... for an extensive, long time. There are pros to this, but one of the cons is that sometimes I focus on the wrong things for an unjustified amount of minutes. That was how last week went. And so I forget. I forget the sweetness and the good things God has weaved and brought together to create my life.

Winter has been dreadfully long, dreadfully cold, and dreadfully wished away by us all this year. The other day though, I woke to sun rays creeping through the blinds lighting up my tangerine colored room--my own personal golden sun--and as cheesy as it's going to sound, I heard a couple of birds conversing with one another outside my window. I'd thought they'd died you know? It took a minute to register that they were back.

The whole life load weighs us down unbearably at times. We grind our joints with each step, and we become so focused on the pain, weight, frustration, and sweat of everything, that we don't even hear the birds or notice when the sun rises. Small, natural miraculous, gifts from God that we've relegated to the cover of Hallmark cards.

It would be such a shame to miss the tangerine sun and the whispers of His grace and love... even in the daily grind.

Let's make a pact, you and I, to do this this week: take moments and breaths to enjoy the sweeter things we foolishly blind or deafen ourselves to in the name of "getting things done."

10 comments :

  1. So good! I have been trying to remember the sweeter parts of my day by writing in my 1000 Gifts journal I started in October when reading Ann Voscamp's book. It has been such a great discipline and has given my heart lots of peace during some restless days. I try to write three gifts every night as the last thing I do before laying my head down. This way, I end the day with sweeter thoughts rather than anxious worrying about all the things that went wrong or could go wrong tomorrow. It's helped me to see simple joys that I usually would have missed because I was focusing on negative things that happened during the day. It's a great way of seeing God's daily provision and faithfulness. When I think about the few things I want but do not yet have, it's easy to roll into an attitude of self-pity. But if I choose to look back and see all the things He HAS gifted to me, I am overwhelmed with His unfailing love in this season and it helps me trust that He will lead me to those not-yet gifts (or if I am not intended to have them at all, then peace to let go).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the art of writing the gifts out (as Voskamp champions that message so well for this generation of Christianity) =)

      Delete
  2. You have no idea how timely this is. I'm an introvert, too, so everything gets bottled up. Only that bottle of fizzy pop gets shaken up slowly until it bursts and fizzes everywhere. Namely with tears on my pillow and crying to God with muffled sobs. It's pretty messy...and I'm not a pretty crier. Thanks for sharing this, sweet girl. (And apologies I haven't been commenting as often - I've moved out and I am internet-less for the foreseeable future!) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you were encouraged Laura! Hope you're doing well and the move went smoothly =)

      Delete
  3. I'll join the pact. I also think I need to read "Cold Tangerines". Thanks for the book plug! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Highly recommend ALL of Shauna Niequist's books!

      Delete
  4. Aw, Natalie thank you for this blog. Gosh, don't we all need this from time to time? Most of the time, I think I do okay about not feeling overwhelmed and just taking life's busyness one step at a time, then there are days when I feel too overwhelmed for my own good. Such is life, I suppose.

    Hope this week is better for you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.