February 14, 2014

Quotable


Do you remember the way the girls would call out “love you!” conveniently leaving out the “I” as if they didn’t want to commit to their own declarations. And I agree that the “I” is a pretty heavy concept. ~David Berman
I have noticed that when all the lights are on, people tend to talk about what they are doing – their outer lives. Sitting round in candlelight or firelight, people start to talk about how they are feeling – their inner lives. They speak subjectively, they argue less, there are longer pauses. To sit alone without any electric light is curiously creative. I have my best ideas at dawn or at nightfall, but not if I switch on the lights – then I start thinking about projects, deadlines, demands, and the shadows and shapes of the house become objects, not suggestions, things that need to done, not a background to thought. ~Jeanette Winterson in Why I Adore the Night
It’s a marvelous thing, the ocean. For some reason when two people sit together looking out at it, they stop caring whether they talk or stay silent. You never get tired of watching it. And no matter how rough the waves get, you’re never bothered by the noise the water makes by the commotion of the surface - it never seems too loud, or too wild. ~Banana Yoshimoto
Good communication is just as stimulating as black coffee, and just as hard to sleep after. ~Anne Marrow
I wish friends and lovers still wrote letters to each other, poetry to each other, or recorded their thoughts in the form of small, tangible gifts. There is nothing lovelier than receiving the innermost thoughts of another person in their handwriting, their words smeared with the side of their palm or looped in cursive ink so that they all run together. I would keep them all. ~Unknown

6 comments :

  1. I love all of those. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Anna! Hope you're well! It's nice to see your "face" here in the "blogging world" =)

      Delete
  2. I have been poking around your blog tonight and have really been enjoying myself! Lovely quotes--especially the one from Anne Marrow. Your honesty on previous posts has been wonderful! I'm looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lex! Thanks for stopping by and following =) I'll be sure to check out your blog here soon too.

      Delete
  3. These were lovely. I definitely agree with the candles/electric lights one; I think there's something to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree there's a lot to it... maybe that's why I'm such a fan of fireplaces...?

      Delete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.