January 15, 2014

Deeper Still: Your Mind


O that God should desire that my interpretation and that of all teachers should disappear, and each Christian should come straight to the Scripture alone and to the pure word of God! You see from this babbling of mine the immeasurable difference between the word of God and all human words, and how no man can adequately reach and explain a single word of God with all his words... Go to the Bible itself, dear Christians, and let my expositions and those of all scholars be no more than a tool with which to build aright, so that we can understand, taste, and abide in the simple and pure word of God... ~Martin Luther, Christmas Sermon 1522 
In the last post, I popped a verse in there from Luke chapter 10:
And he answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind..." ~Luke 10:27 (emphasis mine)
Your mind. A big part of loving God with our minds comes in studying His words to us in scripture. When I'm talking about studying in this series, I'm not talking about reading your Bible all devotion like for 10 minutes a day. I'm not talking about coming to the Bible and opening it at random to read or to find a verse, take it out of context, in hopes it'll make me feel better for that moment. No. I'm talking about you and I personally, sitting down, taking ample time to read and study in detail and in context God's word. To camp out in a spot of scripture, and rest and enjoy ourselves whilst there.

In Luke you and I are told to love God with our mind. Not Beth Moore's mind. Not Jen Hatmaker's mind. Not your pastors mind. Not another blogger's mind. I'm not saying that these people cannot help illuminate things for you and I, but there's a cultivating of the mind towards scripture, that only you and I can do for ourselves.

So often though, we rely heavily on devotionals or the books we've picked up in the Christian living section of the bookstore to be our main course in this spiritual feast, when reality it ought to be a side or dessert. We cheat ourselves out of nourishment when the majority of our time is spent reading what others have gleaned in their own study. Anyone who's been here for some time knows how much I love to read said books, so I'm not for giving them up. But I am for examining our portions sizes and diet (see previous post on Spiritual Diet Talk).
Never let good books take the place of the Bible. Drink from the Well, not from the streams that flow from the Well. ~Amy Carmichael  
Two opposite errors beset the student of the Scriptures: the tendency to take everything second hand from others, and the refusal to take anything from others. ~Charles H. Spurgeon

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.