January 21, 2014

Deeper Still: The Pivotal Question


O you who open your Bibles and want to understand a text, the way to get into the meaning of a text is through the door, Christ. ~C.H. Spurgeon 
What's the most important question a person can ask when studying the Bible? 

I don't think it's the history or the context. I don't think it's in knowing the meaning behind various names of characters. Author and year it was written? Nope. I don't even think it's figuring out how the verses apply to you and I in our everyday lives. These are great and necessary questions to ask in studying... but, THE most important question... THE ultimate question is simply this: How does this point to Jesus?

How does Eden and the fall point to Jesus?
How does Moses leading the Israelites in their great exodus show us Jesus?
How do all the Levitical laws and regulations point to Jesus?
How does the story of a small shepherd boy, turned king direct us towards Jesus? 
How does the love story of Ruth and Boaz or the two lovers in Song of Solomon reveal Jesus to us?
How does the tale of a man marrying a prostitute showcase Jesus? 

Jesus and the cross are the centerpiece of all scripture. All of the old testament leads up to it, and all of the new testament flows out of it. 

In Jesus we can see His beauty in the simplest of details in scripture. Gomer is a good example of this. Gomer means complete. The root word (Gamar) means to perfect. While Gomer's unfaithfulness is proof that she is anything but perfect, in Hosea 2:19 we hear, "I will betroth you to me forever. I will betroth you to me in righteousness and in justice, in steadfast love and in mercy." Righteousness, justice, steadfast love, and mercy were the bride price for Gomer, for Israel, and for you and I... found in Jesus. In Christ's death and sacrifice we're made complete... we're being perfected... the bride price is paid in full. See how we cannot exhaust this pivotal question? Even in something as small as a name, contains hints and fingertips of Christ and the gospel.

Getting to Christ, getting to the cross, forces us to take our eyes off of us, and the navel-gazing we can sometimes do in our reading and studying. There needs to be far less introspecting in our reading, because ultimately it's a book about Christ.

In any reading of scripture we need to make it to the cross. The whole Bible is about Jesus, not just the new testament, or the Gospels. It all rightly leads to Him. Therefore it's the best question to ask. If you miss Him, you're missing the most important part.

8 comments :

  1. I so agree with this, Natalie. I love your example of Gomer's name. I didn't know that! I love seeing how the names of people in the Old Testament are a reflection of their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? When I first learned about Gomer's name I loved how something as small as that just brought a bit more deeper meaning to the whole story.

      Delete
  2. GIRL, preach it! "Jesus and the cross are the centerpiece of all scripture. All of the old testament leads up to it, and all of the new testament flows out of it."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all the encouragement Gennean! (And for sharing this post with others!)

      Delete
  3. Hi Natalie! What a lovely post to see this morning. Of course you are right, I never thought of reading the bible in this way though. I can see that it will make me so much more connected to Jesus, and that's the point right?

    I am back from blog-break, so it's great to be reconnected! I am in a new blog-home now. I had to leave Blogger because of tech problems. Sigh. It's been some work and a huge learning curve, but I'll get there. You should be redirected there if you try to go to Evangelize.
    Blessings!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see you back to blogging Ceil. I'll be sure to try and stop by your new blog soon =)

      Delete
  4. Oh my, yes, this!!! It's probably my favorite so far, which is hard to say since I've been so greatly blessed by these posts. There needs to be far less introspecting in our reading, because ultimately it's a book about Christ. Right on, sister. Amen, amen, a hearty amen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your encouragement is always overwhealmingly generous Jen!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.