January 7, 2014

Deeper Still: Have Little Disdain for Baby Steps


Bible reading leads to Bible study, which leads to Bible meditation. 
Please tell me I'm not the only one who feels completely overwhelmed in studying the Bible. Someone asked me who this series is for exactly. It's such a good question, because before I sat down to write the majority of this series, I decided to look into some rough stats on Bible reading and studying:
  • Less than 10% of a given congregation has read the Bible in its entirety
  • 10% Of a given congregation will pick up their Bibles and read (not study, just read) them during the week outside of Sunday service
  • 2% Of Christians study their Bibles 
If you're like me, you haven't read the Bible in its entirety. (Leviticus is hard to get through people. Let's not deny it.) While I understand that stats don't necessarily always reflect the truth, if those are even a little close, that's still rather sad. And it wasn't too encouraging when I looked at the research on the average layperson's comprehension when it came to scripture literacy. (Just for the record, in case you weren't aware, Sodom and Gomorrah in the Bible--not a married couple folks, and the whole "God helps those who help themselves" thing... also, not in the Bible.) We really are fortunate to have such accessibility and availability to it, and yet we're negligent at acknowledging that fact or indulging ourselves in the Word of God. We take it for granted.

Back to the initial question though, who's this series for?

Here's the thing, I'm not a seminary student. Just want to put that out there upfront. And even though I went to private school, and sat in theology classes for roughly 12 years, there was a lack in teaching us kids how to study the Bibles on our own. I'm not a professional at this, but I want to grow in it for 2014. I want it to be a part of the rhythm that's my life. 

I'm finding not to diminish the importance of taking baby steps in this process of learning to study scripture. Implementing just one new thing at a time, not the whole hog, is the best way. Take the diving a foot at a time. At least that's what I'm doing, and suddenly it's not as huge and looming of a discipline as I thought it would be.

I'm just a college girl who loves Jesus, navigating these waters. So if you're cool with that and want to dive with me, then this series is for you.

8 comments :

  1. YES. I'm really looking forward to this series, Natalie. I've just started to read the Bible chronologically and this will such a valuable asset. I so appreciate your heart and commitment to share Jesus on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kinds words of encouragement Samantha!

      Delete
  2. Yes. Yes, yes, yes. I'm so excited for this series and can't wait for this season of exploration together.

    And I think that's the way it was meant to be, this walk. The community of people clinging to Jesus coming together and journeying together on what it means to know and love Him more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry I've missed these; it's been a rough couple weeks, but good, too. :) I'm just now getting here to play online-catchup, and I'm already in love with this, Natalie. Your love for the Word is so beautifully communicated here that it's contagious--it's spurring me on in my own personal study. I'm attempting (for probably my 10th time) to read through the Bible in 3-5 months, for my second time. I always get bogged down in the Levitical books, and I'm praying this series will keep spurring me in it.

    I love the humility in which you shared about not reading the Bible through. I think there's something to that...sometimes I think we get so concerned with doing these things, or memorizing the order of the books. I read the Bible through only a couple years ago, and I still couldn't recite the books in order if asked. And I think that's okay--I have a relative idea of where they are if I'm looking, and a relative idea of when/why they were written. I think the idea is just what you've shared here: study it. Take brethren along. Ask mentors/pastors questions. Etc. ;)

    Thank you, in your busyness, for investing in something like this. It's a breath of fresh, sharpening air in my online reading. I know it will be so good for me right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope the reading plan is going well =) I have to admit that I've never read through the entire Bible because of books such as Leviticus. I'm far more the type a person to pick a book and really read and dig into just that one over the course of a couple of months.

      Delete
  4. Awesome! Excited for this!!! I love your heart for the Scriptures and have learned so much from your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just now catching up on this series, and stoked about it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.