January 4, 2014

Coping with the Cold + My Winter Must-Haves

Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home. ~Edith Sitwell
Surely everyone is aware of the divine pleasures which attend a wintry fireside; candles at four o'clock, warm hearthrugs, tea, a fair tea-maker, shutters closed, curtains flowing in ample draperies to the floor, whilst the wind and rain are raging audibly without. ~Thomas de Quincey
Pre-Christmas winter I love, post-Christmas winter is a whole different story, and out of the whole year my least favorite time. Coupled with the frigid cold... all I can think about is how much I wish I could hibernate from responsibility and society. The one good thing about this season though is that I don't have to come up with lame excuses for being a homebody, of which I am. 

Winter MustHaves

A few must have items (for me) for winter time (see above): (1) Wool, wool, wool! Wool blankets, socks, mittens, and coats to stay cozy and warm indoors and outdoors. (2) Cute sweaters such as this pink one with sparkles and this charcoal cable knit. (3) Even though Christmas is past, I burn Christmas scents for long as possible. I love these mason jar candles from Bath and Body Works. (4) Starbucks Hot Cocoa Double Chocolate is my favorite at home mix. (5) Winter time means more game nights. My favorite card game at the moment is 5 Crowns, which is similar to Rummikub if you've ever played that. And then Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride are musts as well. (6) Lip balm is a must. It just is. Still haven't come across any that trumps Burt's Bees Replenishing balm with Pomegranate Oil. Smells a-mazing too. (7) Cracking open a new journal, and the gals from Darling Companion were kind enough to send me this pink one from Little Paper Trails earlier last year.

Recipes with my stamp of approval for those frigid, winter nights: Baked Sweet Onion Dip, Cinnamon Rolls, Sour Cream Noodle Bake, Ginger Tea, and Broiled Grapefruit.

And in my opinion, good shows to watch afterwards: Downton Abby, Sherlock, and Psych.

Just some of my favorites from the web recently too...

To browse and read over your mug of coffee: True Friends Rescue Us from Our Thoughts, 10 Times it's Wiser to Hold Your Tongue (Anyone else playing all those scenes from Anne of Green Gables with Marilla? We should listen to that old lady from lit more often...), and "What are You Hopin' About?"

This just made my heart melt.

*Winter Must Haves by Heart Stirrings Image Sources: American Eagle Outfitters Ribbed Sweater / American Eagle Outfitters Chunky Cable Sweater / Columbia Cable Knit Mittens / Replenishing Lip Balm with Pomegranate Oil / Fresh Balsam Mason Jar Candle / Basefield ROCKFORD Throw  / Anchor Journal / Starbucks Double Chocolate Hot Cocoa Mix / Five Crowns Card Game

6 comments :

  1. Love this... ALL of this. First off, balsam is one of my favorite winter smells!
    Second, heck yes to Settlers of Catan!
    Third, those were all heart-stirring articles! I especially loved True Friends Rescue Us ... It resonates with my own story. I am so glad we serve a God of community. He Himself lives in perfect community/unity within His Trinity, so as we aspire to image Him, we should image this attribute by living within trusted, safe, but sin-uncovering, Truth-reminding community. This is one of the strongest weapons we wield against the enemy's lies, in my opinion!
    "What Are You Hoping About" is also beautiful. I love anything Naomi Zacharias writes, especially her book Scents of Water!
    Lastly (woah, this comment is becoming a novella!), my heart melts every time I see that video of Ward. It reminds me of the chronically ill children I worked with for 4 years as a RN and helps me remember the challenges-- but also innumerable blessings-- of children with special needs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I love your long, gracious comments Elle! I think we must be kindred spirits indeed =D

      Delete
  2. I totally feel out of it! I have never heard of any of those card games. We are currently playing "Hand and Foot". It is fun and one that can we can play and visit at the same time. Enjoy your cold winter nights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never played that one... I'll have to look into it Susan

      Delete
  3. Mmmm, such a good, cozy post. I heartily love and agree with all of it. Especially the part about Christmas scents. I was thinking the same thing about Christmas music last night. I was driving, it was SO cold, and any moment the flurries would make their appearance. I had Karen Carpenters Home for the Holidays stuck in my head, and I wished there were a station playing Christmas music. In years past, I've been a Christmas music Grinch, too--so it surprised even me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a part of the reason I don't like winter after Christmas is that... well... Christmas is over with till next year. So I try to drag parts of it out into the first couple of months of the new year.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.