November 22, 2013

Through the Wardrobe

But there I have another name you must learn to know me by. This was the reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here a little you may know me better there.
~Aslan, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, by C. S. Lewis
There are just some stories from our childhood that grab-and-grip our little hearts in such a special way, that they never actually let go. No matter how old we are, we have the fondest appreciation for them and the fondest memories of them. C.S. Lewis once said that the true mark of a well written children's book was that it could be read and enjoyed at any stage of life. Aging does not at some point lock up their wonder, withholding it from us.

Lewis' children's series, The Chronicles of Narnia, is what imprinted on my heart at eight years old... and still remains. I find it ironic how he thought his works of writing would pass on into nothingness and forgotten after his death, but maybe this was God's way of confounding Lewis in the end. After all, does He not use what we think ourselves is foolish or of little value to do mighty things? 

Millions of children have now come to read his books, and I'm sure millions more will in the future generations. And for many of these children this is where they meet Jesus, portrayed as the courageous, loving lion, Aslan. It was lost in the pages and lost in Narnia through a wardrobe that I came to my faith and relationship with Jesus at an early age. 

So I have to nod my head to honor Lewis, as it's been 50 years since his death in 1963 today. I, along with so many look forward to meeting him after our own passing. God, through Lewis' stories, planted the wonder and childlike joy of Christ in our hearts at an early age.

8 comments :

  1. Hi Natalie! My sister just loves CS Lewis, and I really didn't read a lot of his works. I was really impressed by the movies about the Narnia series. I can see how he related faith issues into the imagination of a little child. What a gift he had!
    I will join you in remembering his real 'birthday' into eternal life!
    Have a great weekend!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ceil =) Hope you get the chance to read the Narnia series someday!

      Delete
  2. It's comforting to know that even the writings we've done which we've felt were useless could uplift someone else, or make them laugh, or make them think. I started the Narnia series in adulthood...and have enjoyed the ones I've read. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just sometimes never know how or where our words go when they leave the ink in the pen... or I guess, as bloggers, when we've finished typing and hit 'publish.' There's a wonderful mystery to it at times!

      Delete
  3. A beautiful post about an amazing writer and thinker. C.S. Lewis was a true inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a beautiful tribute to Lewis. And thank you for sharing the video--wow!!! So good. I wanted to shout for joy during some of the dialogue. So thankful for Lewis' love for Jesus and his work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you might like this =) Thanks friend!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.