October 12, 2013

Quotable: Autumn


Fall has always been my favorite season. The time when everything bursts with its last beauty, as if nature had been saving up all year for the grand finale. ~Lauren DeStefano
No spring nor summer beauty hath such grace as I have seen in one autumnal face. ~John Donne
...autumn--that season of peculiar and inexhaustible influence on the mind of taste and tenderness--that season which has drawn from every poet worthy of being read some attempt at description, or some lines of feeling. ~Jane Austen
I cannot endure to waste anything so precious as autumnal sunshine by staying in the house. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne
...fall: bright flame before winter's deadness; harvest; orange, gold, amber; cool nights and the smell of fire. Our tree-lined streets are set ablaze, our kitchens filled with the smells of nostalgia: apples bubbling into sauce, roasting squash, cinnamon, nutmeg, cider, warmth itself. The leaves as they spark into wild color just before they die are the world's oldest performance art, and everything we see is celebrating one last violently hued hurrah before the black and white silence of winter. ~Shuana Niequist
Just as a painter needs light in order to put the finishing touches to his picture, so I need an inner light, which I feel I never have enough of in the autumn. ~Leo Tolstoy

5 comments :

  1. Love that Jane Austen quote! I could just live outside in the fall!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all great—my favorite is the John Donne quote. I love the rhythm of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love these quotes! i loooove fall! yes, for all the fall-y things that the Shuana Niequest quote lists, but also because my life has had many "fall" seasons in the past few years where i felt like a wilting, falling leaf amidst anxiety and burdens to heavy to carry. And in those dreary seasons, God's faithfulness has been most evident and shines like that beautiful "autumnal sunshine" Nathaniel Hawthorne loves so much. So every fall I am reminded that God is still God even when there is cloudy skies and blistery evenings, both literal and spiritual

    ReplyDelete
  4. i find that I am always slow to accept autumns arrival, trying to hang on to every last second of my short warm summer. but there is something to be said about the brilliance of a good crisp fall day coupled with hot apple cider and a good hat and scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all of these! I think the John Donne one is my favorite! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.