September 16, 2013

On Blogging: You're More Than The Words on The Screen


Read part 1 and part 2.

I just want to put this out there today, but I am more than the words you read here on your screen. And if you're also a blogger then you need to hear me say this: You're more than the words you write in a post and then hit 'publish' for my eyes to read.

You and I, we're not brands at the end of the day, no matter how many blogging gurus say so. And for those who read your blog and on occasion will send you nasty comments or e-mails, remind yourself that they don't actually hate you, because they don't really know you. Not the real, human being with a soul, feelings, etc.. They only know the person you put out there online, the "brand" you, and I'm guessing that's only a sliver. 

There are parts of me I will never write about for my blog, and that's a good thing. I may hint at them from time to time, but if you only know me through my blog alone, you're not ever getting the whole picture, background, context, or why I may think some of the things I do. You won't read about super personal things and how those have affected me. You won't read a great deal of my opinions if I don't think it's all that helpful nor of your concern at a given moment. You won't read about my thoughts on politics because honestly I feel that if you're anything like me you see that coming up on your social media feeds enough as it is… it's not why you come to read my blog, because I've made it that way on purpose. And maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think my readers come here to hear me bash others. 

The reason I'm saying this is because Christian blogging in particular has more than it's fair share of debating. And it gets really horrible sometimes. We ought to be ashamed of that... or if we feed into it.

Let's both agree to just slow down and not to be so quick to jump on those bandwagons or make judgement calls. We can do that... and still hold people to high standards of sound theology by the way.

Yeah.

You and I are not the sum total of what's presented in our blogs, or on our social media hubs, even when we're honest and authentic on these web venues. I can say confidently that people (for the most part) are ever growing. God is ever teaching and growing us up. What I write today isn't set in stone for my tomorrows, and on more than one occasion God has totally changed my mind about how I think or perceive something or someone... I'm willing to bet He's going to keep doing that for the rest of my life. Same goes for everyone else.

OK?

You're more than the words you blog, and so am I. 

Let's be gracious bloggers.

7 comments :

  1. Wise post :) Brings me relief, not only for blogging, but also for those situations with people who have disliked me greatly, and didn't know me. I can now let that go...And for my art in general, sometimes feeling like it's a failure.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Jade =) Thanks for stopping by and following!

      Delete
  2. Hi Natalie! I am so happy to see a post like this. We do reveal a lot of ourselves in faith, but can't ever really know anyone well. It's a good thing not to disclose all of life on a blog...well, most of it's pretty boring! At least my life is :)
    But I am a person beyond what I write, and we'd all do well to remember that about everyone.

    And respect each other because of that.
    Great post, Natalie. Never seen anyone write about this before...high time I did.
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.