August 14, 2013

Throwing Theology Under the Bus

Theology seems to be getting a bad rep lately. Or at least that what my Twitter and Facebook feed have been telling me (which I'm not 100% sold that journalists speak for the the greater faith community at large as much as they project that they do). Many are the voices in my young generation in particular are calling out for authenticity and "just loving and following Jesus." However, "just loving and following Jesus" for many of them means putting to rest things such as theology and doctrine. 

Included in this generation is me (and hopefully others too), and I'm going to say that I'm not for that at all. It's not even a logical conclusion to be making, and shallow thought-processing. (So no, journalists and bloggers alike do not speak for a whole generation.)

This mindset sorta saddens and confuses me. It's confusing because even making a statement about not practicing theology, is practicing theology. Are we seriously too blind to realize that? Maybe the problem then lies in confusing definitions (a growing problem in itself) and word associations. Let's keep it simple then:
Theology: The dwelling on that which is in relation to God. (Studying God and His characteristics, attitudes, and purposes)
How could we even think that's not important, or something as Christians we can abdicate and remove ourselves from? We cannot divorce loving God from pursuing truth. By doing so we're separating ourselves from the heart of the Father. Studying theology and the Bible simply comes down to loving God with our minds (Matt. 22:37), which I believe will then bleed into loving Him with our hearts and souls.

So I love Jesus. I want to follow him. But I also pursue theology and hold to doctrine (because that comes from the Bible, it's not rooted in man-made ideas, even though many a man will argue over them), because I need those things to direct me towards Jesus. We pursue those things to get more of Jesus. That's the true and ultimate motivation, not to debate others 24/7 or use it as ammo to hate others. There is a proper time and place to challenge wrong/troubling teaching that may be going around in the church. Paul did this in many of his letters to the early churches, and he is not faulted for it, nor did he do it out of hate, but love. Love seeks right thinking, and encouraging others towards right thinking.

Every time you and I open our mouths and make a statement about God or we think or dwell on Him... we're being theologians. Seminary degree or not. The real questions are how good of theologians will we be?
If you do not listen to theology, that will not mean that you have no ideas about God. It will mean that you have a lot of wrong ones! ~C.S. Lewis

7 comments :

  1. HI Natalie! Oh, you know, we all want to go our own way. If it feels good, then we should do it and all that stuff.

    Being a Christian is not for wimps, and it's not for people who think they are in charge all the time. It is sad, but they'll get there someday. I hope!

    Happy Wednesday!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this a lot.
    I love studying/discussing theology. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know I'm not the only one!

      Delete
  3. I appreciate this post, Natalie! Never really thought of theology in this way... what wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gennean =) Hope you're well and had a great trip!

      Delete
  4. I really appreciate your thoughts on thus! Apathy is a wide-spread phenomena among our generation and many others. There are so many people who would rather avoid the subject all together in the name of love, rather than take the time to truly understand what you believe and be willing to stick to that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.