July 19, 2013

Sweet Peaches & Poetry


Come clean with a child heart
 Laugh as peaches in the summer wind
Let rain on a house roof be a song 
Let the writing on your face 
be a smell of apple orchards on late June.
~Carl Sandburg, Honey & Salt 

Some days need to start off with poetry don't you think? I suggest Sandburg today. And hot July days call for fresh, sweet peaches. Some people call watermelon nature's candy, but I'm more inclined to think it's the juicy peaches myself. The other night I pulled this recipe from my Pinterest board to try, hoping it was as good as it looked. I'm sharing it with you today, because weekends are for baking and peach season is only here for so long (*hint, hint... you should make this*).

Peach Pound Cake
Ingredients...
  • 1 Cup of butter, softened
  • 2 Cups of sugar
  • 4 Eggs
  • 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 Cups of all-purpose flour
  • 1 Teaspoon of baking powder
  • Half a teaspoon of salt
  • 2 Cups of peaches (pitted and chopped into small cubes)
Begin by beating the butter and sugar in a large bowl until the mixture become fluffy/airy and creamy. Then add in the eggs one at a time, followed by the vanilla extract, baking powder, then finally, the salt. Add in 2 and 3/4 cups of flour to the batter, and put aside the other 1/4 cup for later. Now in a separate bowl toss the 1/4 cup of flour that was put aside over the chopped peaches and coat them. Fold the peaches into the cake batter, then pour it into a prepared (i.e. buttered and coated with sugar) tube or bundt cake pan. Bake in a 325 degree oven for roughly hour (or until knife/toothpick when stuck into batter comes out clean). Let cake cool for 10-15 minutes, invert it, eat and enjoy! And the added bonus is your kitchen is going to smell heavenly too =)


What are your favorite peach desserts to enjoy during the summertime?

6 comments :

  1. Oh this looks devine...peaches and poetry?! LOVE it! Have you made PW's Maple Peach Crisp. If not add it to your list. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made PW's Crisp, and it's definitely another favorite!

      Delete
  2. Ahhh I LOVE peaches:) Peach anything makes me swoon! What a yummy summer treat:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love peaches too, but haven't gotten my hands on any yet this season. Believe me, I will! Love the video, at least what I could get to play. This recipe looks delish. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cake was heavenly. I ate approximately half of it. Try it out girls.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.