July 5, 2013

Surgery For Healing

I came across these words that Spurgeon had written on a passage in Hosea the other day, and just fell in love with them. Hope it hits you just as powerfully as it did me over my steamy mug of coffee this morning. 

Surgery For Healing
“Come, and let us return unto the Lord: for he hath torn and he will heal us; he hath smitten, and he will bind us up.” ~Hosea 6:1
It is the Lord’s way to tear before He heals. This is the honest love of His heart, and the sure surgery of His hand. He also bruises before He binds up, or else it would be uncertain work. The law comes before the gospel; the sense of need before the supply of it. Is the reader now under the convincing, crushing hand of the Spirit? Has he received the spirit of bondage again to fear? This is a salutary preliminary to real gospel healing and binding up.
Do not despair, dear heart, but come to the Lord with all thy jagged wounds, black bruises, and running sores. He alone can heal, and He delights to do it. It is our Lord’s office to bind up the broken-hearted, and He is gloriously at home at it. Let us not linger, but at once return unto the Lord from whom we have gone astray. Let us show Him our gaping wounds, and beseech Him to know His own work and complete it.
...Every blossoming flower warns you that it is time to seek the Lord; be not out of tune with nature, but let your heart bud and bloom with holy desires…You who feel the first signs of decay, quicken your pace: that hollow cough, that hectic flush, are warnings which you must not trifle with; with you it is indeed time to seek the Lord… There is a day of grace for you now—be thankful for that, but it is a limited season and grows shorter every time that clock ticks. Here in this silent chamber, on this first night of another month, I speak to you as best I can by paper and ink, and from my inmost soul, as God’s servant, I lay before you this warning, “It is time to seek the Lord.”
~Charles H. Spurgeon, Faith's Checkbook

6 comments :

  1. This really touches me personally. I was a stubborn "christian" with an even more stubborn soul, and it took God realizing it would take Him tearing me down to build me up. It was painful but it made me stronger because I realized he was loving me just as any father would. I realized He had not forgotten me.

    Marie Angelique

    ReplyDelete
  2. You find the most amazing quotes...thanks for sharing! love Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! I think of God as many things, Healer being among them. It definitely takes surrendering ourselves, along with all of our bruises and scrapes, fully to God. He will take care of us. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so true Natalie, thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woah, what a perspective! It makes so much more sense to me now. I'm going to remember this.:) Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.