July 9, 2013

Chivalry {Book Review}


No, this book is not a call for young men to be gentlemen. Nor is it a call for women to be ladies. Although those are both good things. But that's not what this book cries out for. It's a cry for both men and women to start living honorable lives. To be civil, merciful, seeking justice, and living selflessly. This is the plea of Zach Hunter's latest book, Chivalry: The Quest for a Personal Code of Honor in an Unjust World.

The book is divided into ten "codes" of conduct based off of similar codes the knights followed back in the day (like King Arthur and the knights of the round table), such as self-control, honoring truth, respecting life, etc. What resonated with me the most was Hunter's addressment to the critical spirit that often pervades the young generations now, and more importantly, his heart for justice in the slave trade. Having read a previous book of his, as well as being familiar with his organization (loose change to loosen chains), it was great to read more. I also feel like you clearly see the author's desire to honor and respect every person, which in turn, as the reader you desire for yourself too. So in this sense the book does a job well done in inspiring the reader to be more civil... to be kinder... to be more like Jesus to everyone. One way the author helps to make this practical, is the discussion questions at the end which will help readers to form their own personal codes of conducts in their daily lives.

*Quick side-note: Can we just agree that the cover design is pretty cool? As a visual person I really liked the quotes and poetry that were presented with aesthetic flare throughout the book.
Many of the chapters opened with stories, a couple of which I could have done without. Not that there was anything wrong with them, as well as understanding that they're there to set-the-scene, I however, felt a couple of them were just taking up space (which is more so a reflection of my personal taste than of the author really). At one point in the first half of the book Hunter quotes Mark Driscoll, claiming the pastor has an "extreme" viewpoint on Jesus being "an ultimate-fighting" type of man. Having read and listened to a considerable amount of Driscoll, I thought Hunter may have possibly been reading too much into Driscoll words to come to the conclusion that he did. I certainly wouldn't place Driscoll on the side of the spectrum that preaches a Jesus who's "senselessly violent, [and] angry." (Or perhaps I was miss-reading the authors point, as this is entirely possible.) However, none of this really diminishes from the underlying heartbeat of the book much.

In regards to who I think should read Chivalry, this would be great in the hands of middle and high-schoolers for sure. As a college student bits and pieces were at times a little too cheesy or (and I really hate to use this word) juvenile for me. What I mean by the 'juvenile' is that in reading I would've wanted the writing to be a bit more challenging... more at the college level I guess. So even though many adults would benefit from learning how to be more chivalrous, I don't believe this book it written for older demographics in general. But again, a great read for kids ages 12-18.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher, Tyndal House Publishers. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

1 comment :

  1. Interesting! I'd never heard of it before, but if I see it I might just pick it up! THanks for sharing...love your book reviews:) love KAtie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.