July 17, 2013

Behind Our Creating


Why did she make things? Well, she enjoyed it, of course; but it also somehow helped her remember who she was and where she came from. ~Amy Rubin Flett
Creativity is like a buzzword to the blogging world. I see it everywhere, and that's awesome. Painting and drawing, designing, crafting, writing, cooking, baking, dancing, acting, decorating, photographing… all of these are acts of creating. Even making space, effort, and time for relationships to flourish is an act of creating. (Did not God create relationship too?)

There are those who like to tell me, "I'm not the creative type." We're all creative in our own unique ways. No one is left out of this because we're all created in the Imago Dei, the image of God… we're to reflect Him. God spent six days creating, one day of resting, as the example of how He desired His creation to live. There's a rhythm to this all. Create, create, create, create, create, create, then rest. Start over again. For nearly every day of the week (minus the seventh, the sabbath day) God created.
And He said this was good.

Let us keep pursuing creativity in our lives, because it some small ways it helps us to remember who we are: Sons and daughters of the King of Creation. And in some small ways we should hope and aspire that whatever we put our hands to points back to the Ultimate Creator, so that others may encounter Him through us. 

11 comments :

  1. such a great reminder. creating is my life - i love love love the quote at the top. too true. may God use my creativity to glorify Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an awesome quote. I need a really cool pin image with it to add to my boards!

      Delete
  2. I *love* how you worded this post. I have felt passionately about this take on creativity, on the fact that we got it from God. I totally agree with you. Especially this line.. " And in some small ways we should hope and aspire that whatever we put our hands to points back to the Ultimate Creator, so that others may encounter Him through us. "

    Thanks for writing this! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOu have such good thoughts:) I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neat post, Natalie.

    Such a true and wonderful reminder - we were fearfully and wonderful made in His image and while we don't all excel at the same things (or everything!), we do each have our own unique talents. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't agree more with this post! :D I find whenever I'm in a creative rut, it helps to try creating in some other form for a while. I usually get refreshed and lots of of new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought of being creative in such way. Actually, I haven't really thought of creativity at all, I just go and do things (when I'm inspired..). But thanks for this new perspective... :)
    And since for my family, tomorrow is the rest day, I am right now getting up from my chair and go create something!!! :)

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You, not creative? lies! The way you put together words is beyond admiration. And besides, I bet you cook some delicious meals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I AM creative. Don't worry about that!

      Delete
  8. This is great! I love this " Create, create, create, create, create, create, then rest. Start over again" :)
    I recently wrote about Image of God and creativity too! I LOVE reading what other bloggers write about the same topic. It's so cool to see what God teaches each of us!

    P.S. I LOVE your "bookshelf" area... I have something similar! And I am currently looking through amazon.com for a few of them ("Desiring God" and "The Scent of Water")! I also saw that you recommend Doctrine and Redemption, both written by my pastors at Mars Hill! And I peeked at the GoodReads link and saw you liked Who Do You Think You Are, which I LOVE! (I'm not a creeper, I just LOVE finding new books to read and can't keep from clicking when I see someone has a tab named Bookshelf, haha!)

    I'm glad I found you through Darling Compassion!

    Elena
    elle-alice.blogspot

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.