March 19, 2013

15 Things I Can Recommend to Everyone Right Now

#1. Take the time, and put forth the (grace-driven) effort in your relationship with Jesus, because you cannot live vicariously through someone else's relationship with Christ.

#2. Figure out what stirs your affections for Christ, and then surround yourself with those activities or things or people. No formula exists to knowing or delighting in God. The ways are endless and vast.

#3. Pray more. It's not about having enough time. Everyone has been given the allotted time. It's about prioritizing. And not throwing rocks or judgements here, because I struggle with this too, when we say I don't have time to prayer, or to study God's word, or to serve among a body of believers … what we're actually saying is that we haven't made it a priority.

#4. Eat pasta slathered in creamy sauces, olives, feta, and decadent chocolate treats. Because they're all delicious, and they'll make you a happier person, while encouraging a spirit of nostalgia for the Tuscon hills in Italy. You don't have to live there, just imagine and stand in awe of their beauty.

#5. Make time to read books. Books about theology, books about recipes, books about real-life heroes, books about make-believe worlds or kingdoms, books you enjoyed when you were five, and books on DIY projects (even though you probably won't get to them for a very long time).

#6. Take more time in preparing and enjoying breakfast on Saturday mornings. It's the weekend, so celebrate it. Sleep in, eat your waffles and drink your coffee in bed, blast some music through the house, and dance in the kitchen.

#7. Practice Sabbath. It makes life more enjoyable, sweeter, easier, and God-glorfiying. I've become a bigger proponent for it the more and more I study and live it.

#8. Invest in true friendships, create community, and even though you may at times not want to for one reason or another, join a church... commit to the bride of Christ (you cannot truly love one and not the other).

#9. Create. Create with your words or with your pencils or brushes. Create music, dance, and theatrics. Create sweet treats and hearty meals. Create safe, grace-filled environments for peoples hearts, souls, and minds to grow and be nourished. Create community. Do it without fear, and do it freely by ridding yourself of a perfectionist mentality. God uses it all... all of it matters, even when it's done out of your weakness because Christ will match it with His strength for His glory and your joy. When we create, we image our Father, THE Creator, which is why there's so much joy to be had in the process and practice.

#10. Go outside more. And exercise more. You'll feel a whole lot more energetic and healthy. 

#11. At some point, bake your favorite pie (mine's berry) sit down with someone, and the two of you just eat it out of the pan with forks. Laugh and tell stories with each bite. Don't ask questions, just do it.

#12. Buy locally, fresh, or organic when you can. Be a caring buyer.

#13. Drink lots of coffee and tea. I'm convinced that God put some kind of power in the coffee beans and tea leaves when He made them, so that when consumed, inspiration would jump significantly in one's mind.

#14. Delight in the little things, and indulge yourself once in a while.

#15. Find time at night to just sit still and reflect. It's those evenings during warm, balmy summers, when the cicadas are screaming that are my favorites. Perfect temperature, bare feet, and a porch swing.

25 comments :

  1. i love this. all of this. too true and some things i need to do a lot more of everything on this list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GIRL. I absolutely love this list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful reading! I promise to try them all some day! Thanks for the inspiration <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do Sofie! Let me know about the pie one ;D

      Delete
  4. Your third recommendation for everyone is great, Natalie! We all need to be reminded of this and in particular I appreciate how you've put it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Natalie, I love every single one! Wish we lived closer so we could indulge in the tastes of Italy for a night. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someday when we do, it's going to be one amazing dinner! Bread, cheese, pasta, olives... everything! =D

      Delete
  6. I just love all of these!!! Who can be unhappy with more Jesus and Saturday morning breakfasts?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Natalie...YES. I am definitely going to do one or more or all of these things really soon!:) LOVE THIS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. one of my favorite posts ever! welcome back to blogging... ive missed you :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just wanted to say I love your blog! And to thank you so much for your sweet comments on mine. :) And I LOVED the quote from Ted Grant that you shared. So true!

    Oh, and I love scrolling your pinterest boards. ;)
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are great ideas. I defenitly need to let go of things that draw me away from God and make prayer time, I really just need a system so I can keep track of what to pray for.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just can't get over how blessed I am by you & your blog Natalie. Seriously, powerful material that encourages practical ways to seek His Kingdom first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You're encouragement means so much =D

      Delete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.