February 14, 2013

Valentines Day: Remind Those Around You They're Loved

I walked into a Hallmark store the other day. They were sporting pink, red, and purple like it was nobody's business. Glittery hearts lined the aisles, peeking out on almost every single card I walked by. I'm single. I'm single on Valentines Day. But regardless of my relationship status, I happen to really love and enjoy this holiday. (Something about getting all crafty and making handmade valentine cards and gifts does something for my endorphin levels.) However, I also understand why so many other single girls have a disdain for the celebratory day. You watch other women receive bouquets of flowers, or see couples heading out on their dinner dates... and let's admit, we desire that. Unmet desires after a while can burrow bitterness deep in us if we're not tending to our hearts.

So I'm sincerely hoping that you wouldn't become embittered this Valentines day. I'm a huge proponent for celebrating Valentines day as a soapbox to show those around you how much they're loved… friends, family, mentors, or whoever you "do" life with. And I'm praying they'll do the same for you, because regardless of relationship status, we all need to be reminded how much we're loved by one another, and ultimately by our Savior. Valentines day shouldn't stir feelings of being forgotten or unloved in our hearts.

From this single girl to the next, just know that you are always loved by Christ. In scripture He describes His love as unfailing, meaning it never ends, runs out, or will fail you. That gives us great joy and should stir celebration and worship in our hearts... today... and every day. 

Happy Valentines Day!

15 comments :

  1. Yeah for celebrating Valentines day for all!! Such a good idea to remind ALL you love that they are loved:) happy day sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful reminder, Natalie! I don't really have feelings one way or the other as a single girl about this holiday. It may just be another day but there is something "festive" and fun about it no matter what. :)

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i LOVE this natalie. happy valentines day to YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aaaaamen. i feel like i really should have a better attitude about valentine's day, but it's really hard for me to muster that up when every year this day has been a multitude of unmet expectations. i need to remember that this day isn't just for lovers - but for family and friends too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this reminder!
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you love Valentine's day. I always have (with or without a guy!) Hope you felt very loved Natalie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think even for married women we need to remember that on V-day, thank you.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, I really think I am one of the only married women around that despises Valentine's Day. Ok, maybe I don't despise it, but I hate the pressure. I would way rather get chocolate from my man on a different day when society isn't telling him that is what he needs to do. And thankfully I have found a man that gets that and often buys me chocolate for no reason. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this Natalie. Such great words that many single women could live by. Its definitely really easy to become embittered during 'love' holidays, but you make sure a great point that we can still show love to our loved ones.
    Emily at Amazing Grapes

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE this! I loved V-day even when I was single too. How you feel about it is a choice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Natalie- I know you're taking a little break from blogging, but I nominated you for the Liebster Award... no pressure to participate, but I shared your blog and just wanted to let you know :) Hope the break is going well for ya! http://dressupandtwirl.blogspot.com/2013/02/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. amazing perspective, as always girl!

    xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.