February 5, 2013

I Think We're More Like Martha

Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.” But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.” ~Luke 10:38-4
I'm sure if any of your have grown up going to church or Sunday school know this story all too well. Sometimes Bible stories have a way of feeling repetitive and dull if you hear them over and over again. That's how I've always felt about this one... up until this last month. 

You see, I think every single one of us is more like Martha (or has been at one time) than we care to admit. And I certainly have been. I haven't become distracted with serving or ministry, but distracted I am about a great deal of things. 

I've preoccupied and concerned myself with many other things instead of tending to my heart and relationship with Christ. And now, coming to that realization in the midst of a distracted mind, I too have been whispering that same question...

Do you not care? Why do I feel so alone?

He answers me the same as He did Martha that day: "You are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary... the good portion."

HIM. Jesus. Fellowship with the Savior. This is the good portion. 

Distraction cuts-off communion with Him.  

I want to stop cleaning dishes in the kitchen. Today I just want to grab a cup of hot tea and lounge on the couch with Him.

The living room is where the actual LIVING takes place. 

The Lord is my chosen portion... ~Psalm 16:5

6 comments :

  1. So good! Love that last line...the living room is where actual LIVING takes place! Thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so martha. so so so martha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sigh.
    i was very much convicted by this.
    i always find myself in a place where i think im doing alright, and then BAM it hits me that i've lost sight on the one thing that is so important. my time with HIM.

    thanks for writing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finally decided to read this! The conviction finally forced me to see the unpleasantness of my Martha ways!
    Thank you!
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. absolutely!!!

    Have you ever read any Watchman Nee? He has an amazing chapter on this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.