January 7, 2013

Where Are You?

"Where are you?"

Those three short words have been echoing through the caverns of my head and heart this past week. The first three words God spoke after the whole of His creation was fractured by Adam and Eve's sin.
And they heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God among the trees of the garden. But the Lord God called to the man and said to him, “Where are you?” ~Gen. 3:8&9 (emphasis mine)
I'm not a fan of New Years posts... or the holiday itself either. Christmas is a jolly time, New Years is its 180 (or so it seems for me). I'm 7 days in, a week, and already I've had some rather horrible days. I've read loads of posts reflecting on how awesome the year 2012 was for some of you. I'm glad of it, but I cannot summarize this last year the same way. It was hard. It was tiring. It was painful. It was frustrating. It was disheartening on so many levels. I have few good words for 2012. I had a workload that distracted me half the time, but over break, with that no longer there, it was discouraging to me to sit, be still, and reflect on my life. Those three small words reverberated. Quietly at first, and then loudly...

Where are you?

Spurgeon called those three small words "the alienation of the heart" of man from God. This is true. My life feels, and in reality is, in dozens of ways fractured. My heart is indeed alienated from Him.

I'm not one to make a resolution or goals for the new year. I'm not one to open my Bible and be led to a passage of scripture that will serve as the year's verse. I'm not one to even pick a word that will hopefully define my upcoming year. I don't place great expectations on any of these plans, objectives, or intentions, not that there's anything wrong with people having them or arranging them. But I will look at where I'm at, and I will go into the new year with a hope that Christ has something for me in it. I don't know what it is or have the least bit of an inkling. Those will be revealed in the days and months to come. All I know now for this season, this time, this year's beginning are those three words.

Where are you?

Though God knows where I am exactly, I do not. I do not recognize this place I'm in… I don't recognize parts of myself all that well either. But even though I have no recognition, I remain not lost. No one is truly ever lost, whilst God holds their hand. And I trust that as His child, He's got a grip on mine, even in times of alienation.
There was a Gospel sermon, I think, in those three Divine Words as they penetrated the dense parts of the thicket, and reached the tingling ears of the fugitives—“Where are you?” Your God is not willing to lose you... ~C.H. Spurgeon (emphasis mine)

8 comments :

  1. 2012 was not all peaches and cream for me, either. It was a very painful year. I thank you for your honesty! I do believe God has something good in store for you this year, He delights in seeing our delight in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praying this year will be better for you too dear!

      Delete
  2. i love this post natalie. i know 2012 was a hard one... it was for me too, so i say good riddance 2012!!! i hope 2013 is better. the Lord has kept you so strong and steady and the blessings for that will be beyond what you can imagine, i just know it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Courtney! Your prayers, encouragement, and friendship over this past year has meant so much to me! I hope this upcoming year is a good one for you as well =) Be blessed.

      Delete
  3. Thanks Natalie. So much truth here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is exceptional.
    Remember its always darkest before dawn; good things come when we least expect them to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know where I am or where I'm going this year either. I have learned throughout the pain that God's trustworthiness is what will always be there, even if other things or people won't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Though God knows where I am exactly, I do not."
    and I'm learning to have joy in that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.