January 1, 2013

Getting Through Winter


Happy January. Or for my fellow mid-westerners, happy sludgy and bitter cold winter to you. If you do not live in the mid-west and find yourself on sunny beaches, soak up some sun for me because I'm sitting in my bed under the covers... and it's the middle of the day. Winter in the mid-west is not too terribly fun. Cold weather is nice when you live in The Rockies and there's snow, but here it's usually bleak, bitter, muddy, bland of a season. There's not a ton to do because of the weather other than shopping, trips to the museum, work, school, and hiding away at Starbucks. All of which, besides the Starbucks, get rather redundant after the first couple of weeks. Being honest, the first couple of months of the new year have never been my favorites... they're my "try-to-survive-without-freezing-to-death" months. And when you're trying to survive anything, you always need some help along the way... some pick-me-ups. These are my musts for getting through dreary mid-west winters...
  1. All things Burts Bees. I have a love affair with Burts Bees. I love pretty much all their stuff, especially their Replenishing Lip Balm with Pomegranate Oil. I don't go anywhere without it. It's pretty flippin' amazing in terms of lip balms.
  2. Downton Abbey. I'm the most noncommittal person when it comes to television (the upside is if I ever marry there won't be hardly, if any arguments over the remote control), but this is one show I HAVE to keep up with.  
  3. A stack of books on my nightstand: Gospel Deeps by Jared C. Wilson, Three Free Sins by Steve Brown, The Cure by John Lynch, Bruce McNicol, and Bill Thrall, Who Do You Think You Are by Mark Dricoll, and Redemption by Mike Wilkerson (which I reread once every year).
  4. Coffee. Can't do life without coffee. I'm incoherent without it. 
Your turn! What are some of your "musts" to survive the bitter cold weather? 

11 comments :

  1. ahhh i hear ya on the midwest winters!! cant survive without my burts bees and coffee either... and lots of LOTION to keep my skin hydrated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh I'm with you on all of these! Downton Abbey is the only show that I. have. to. watch. Love, love, love it! And don't even get me started about coffee... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Downton Abbey is one of the most beautiful shows.EVER. We've had a little snow, but not enough to be fun. Lighting candles is one of my musts, along with chocolate and Jesus, the One and Only by Beth Moore.Thanks for suggesting that, I'm loving it so far!Of, and my snuggie.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I give an "amen" to the candles too =) Glad you're enjoying the Beth Moore book!

      Delete
  4. I love Downton Abbey. Some good books and tea are both musts for my bitter winters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a very blessed 2013 xoxox

    vivI.Iviv
    www.lovexevol.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. coffee & books for sure! and my mittens. i got them for Christmas last year and love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watched some of Downtown Abbey and did enjoy it. I just started using a Burts Bees facial cleanser, and I'm addicted! Books are a must, and hot chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm totally with you on Downton Abbey! My family and I are all addicted! We can't wait until the next episode comes out on Sunday! Other than that, I need my tea, slippers, and a good book or two.

    Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, so I'm learning that whenever I open up a new tab to come to your blog I need to open up GoodReads too because you will surely have recommended some great reads. :) Going to add these books to my list! I totally know what you mean by "try-to-survive-without-freezing-to-death" months. We've got those here too! Hot chocolate, funny tv, good books, crafts, sunrises and the dreams of eventually moving somewhere warmer usually get me through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OooO! I should do some crafting this winter myself =)

      Delete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.