January 16, 2013

Get to the Harbor

The part of my day I most relish and anticipate is that time where I put away the to-do lists, and put away my minds worry about everything that is seemingly wrong. It's just me, my fuzzy blanket, a steamy mug of some hot brew, Bible, journal, a book, maybe a sermon, and maybe my laptop to write or read a blog post. It's that moment where I shut out everything, and shut myself into some moments of calm and peace. The other day (long after I had written this), I was reading Morning and Evening (a fantastic book I got for Christmas, and trust me, you'll hear me blabbing on about it for months to come)... the words were just too perfect for me:
Sinking times are praying times with the Lord's servants... The fox runs to its hole for protection; the bird flies to the wood for shelter; and even so the tired believer hastens to the mercy-seat for safety. Heaven's great harbor of refuge is All-prayer; thousands of weather-beaten vessels have found a haven there, and the moment a storm comes on, it is wise for us to make for it with full sail... Our extremities are the Lord's opportunities. Immediately a keen sense of danger forces an anxious cry from us, the ear of Jesus hears, and with Him ear and heart go together, and the hand does not long linger. At the last moment we appeal to our Master, but His swift hand makes up for our delays by instant and effectual action. Are we nearly engulfed by the boisterous waters of affliction? Let us then lift up our souls unto our Savior, and we may rest assured that He will not suffer us to perish. We can do nothing, Jesus can do everything; let us enlist His powerful aid upon our side, and all will be well. ~C.H. Spurgeon

Now that I've shared, it's your turn. What have you been learning in your "quiet time" lately?

12 comments :

  1. It's one of my favorite moments of the day too. No homework, no lists, no moving and scrambling and rambling.

    I've been learning about gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome Lacey =) Have you read Ann Voskamp's "1,000 Gifts" yet? It's an amazing book all about cultivating a heart of thankfulness and gratitude.

      Delete
  2. love charles spurgeon!! im learning about fighting to see Gods blessing and goodness when my flesh wants to only see darkness and pain...its a fight for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMGOSH... yes. Choosing to direct my gaze on Christ instead of the pain has been extremely hard... like you said, "a fight."

      Delete
  3. honestly, i don't know that i've learned anything really. but i think that is because i haven't been out searching for answers either. i'm just kind of lost for now, still re discovering my footing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand that. I'm usually not searching either, but sometimes God has a way of slamming reminders in my face, like this one. Praying for you!

      Delete
  4. I've been reading Beth Moore's Jesus, the One and Only. I am seeing Jesus and he is more real than ever before as I go through his whole life.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEA! Glad you're loving it! I won't get to it till this summer, but the fact that you love it so much is making me look all the more forward to reading it =)

      Delete
  5. God has been revealing to me and stepping on my toes about multiple things but the biggest one is true forgiveness... thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Jess! True forgiveness... that can be a hard one to learn, but one we all need desperately.

      Delete
  6. I've been claiming and taking in His promises. This morning I read Hebrews 10:25 and it stuck with me all day. "...for He who promised IS faithful."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great verse! We can never tire of hearing of His faithfulness =)

      Delete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.