January 17, 2013

An Invitation to Know Hope

"For those who wait on the Lord, though, it is not a weight leading to despair but instead a weight that invites us to know hope" ~Lauren Chandler
I read over those words twice more, and it hits me.

An invitation to know hope. 

In this season of darkness has it been present all along? Yes. Only I've worked hard to ignore it. It's an invitation I've declined over and over and over again. I sit here and wonder why I'm so resistant to RSVPing. Why the desire to fully know… to enter into hope is little… if there at all. And it's simple: Hope can hurt. Most of the human population fears being hurt. So there in lies the answer: An avoidance of hurt out of man-made fear. Hope gives room for disappointment... perhaps. It's an inner battle I've gone back and forth with. Disappointment hurts, and if I hope I make room for that disappointment to be a reality. But then I get to thinking... is not hope rooted in Christ void of disappointment? Is not the ultimate goal, all that truly matters to get more of Jesus? I work this out in my head because it knows it's true. Christians can remain confident in their hope, because it marries our hearts to His all the more. We get more of Him.

So I decide to accept the invitation. I'm a bit hesitant because the hope in me is weak. Hope is much like a muscle. If it's not purposely exercised and worked it will not have much strength to it. I ask for the grace to cover my weakness, and put on my proverbial-spiritual *yoga pants, because it's time to start exercising hope in my heart. I want, and need more of Him, regardless of circumstance... and it's this kind of hope that does not disappoint.

*I'm not making a statement about yoga, just the fact that those pants are good for working out in and comfy. 

10 comments :

  1. I've been fearing disappointment so much, it has hindered me from stepping out in faith. Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in the same boat... it's hard to carry on in hope. Praying for you =)

      Delete
    2. Praying for you as well! Grateful for you, your life & your blog

      Delete
  2. Hey, I'm trying to see how many Christians I can get to comment on my blog. So if you want you can check it out @...
    http://typicalmelancholy.blogspot.com/
    ...Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is just really cool. And hits home. I love how you've married our humanity with the awesomeness of God...and they go hand in hand. And that's what makes our God amazing :) "He remembers we are only dust."
    My hope for you in this season is that you get to know Jesus so much more intimately and that you will see Him so clearly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura! I love how all your comments are always so thoughtful =D

      Delete
  4. oh my gosh its like you know exactly how i feel. i'm so scared of hoping. so scared of disappointment. i forget that His hope is never disappointing. i forget that trusting Him is the best thing I can do for myself. I fight it. I resist it. I'm still hesitating, but i'm trying to work up the courage to take that step and put my hope back in Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen. I'm right there with you =) You're still in my thoughts and prayers.

      Delete
  5. This post is so perfect for me right now. Thanks for sharing your journey Natalie -I hope you know how much you are helping others!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am afraid to hope, and I prayed for God to take it away, and He just gave me a direction, to hope in him and not another person.:) Thanks for posting this, it makes me more confident I'm hoping without reason.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.