December 7, 2012

A Year with G.K. Chesterton Review

I've taken a great liking to G.K. Chesterton this year. (Granted, it's taking me forever to get through his little book, Orthodoxy.) Chesterton was a philosopher, writer, Christian apologist, and according to some, "the prince of paradox." In short he was one of the great intellectuals of his time, and continues to sway people in theology and philosophy to this day through his writings. This book, A Year with G.K. Chesterton: 365 Days of Wisdom, Wit, and Wonder, is a compilation of his various works, broken down into a "devotional" format for the reader.

I quotation the word devotional here though, because personally, I don't really think it quite fits the normal devotional format here. It's more along the lines of those "a-quote-for-every-day-of-the-year-type/Hallmark-y coffee table books" (not that there's really anything wrong with that). But then again, this is Chesterton, and his writings are deep and profound, and most people have to really chew on his words before they understand them. Personally, I think this would be a great book for those who are just being introduced to Chesterton (or philosophy for that matter too) since it's in easy read sections, as opposed to diving into one of his full-length books (like myself... and still trying to get through three months later). In other words it's taking Chesterton's meaty, and sometimes confusing, writing, and cutting it down into more manageable, bite-size pieces to enjoy... one for everyday of the year. 

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.