November 2, 2012

Caring for the Orphaned

November is Orphan Awareness Month, and while I've written on this every year in past, I thought it would be cool to have one of my blogging friends, Chantel, come on here and write on adoption, as her family is in the process currently. I love her heart and passion for Christ and orphan care. So, be sure you head on over to her blog, A Harvest of Blessing, to read more about her family, faith, adoption story, and her adorable craft projects/DIYs! P.S. Fellow readers, she's got awesome taste when it comes to books too!



Hey guys, I am excited to be posting on Natalie's blog today. I love that she asked me to share a little bit of my journey with you for Orphan Awareness Month because I have a real passion for the orphans across the world. 

When people find out we are adopting from the Democratic Republic of Congo there are a number of questions that come up. One of the more common ones is: Why Africa? I have found this one the easiest and hardest question to answer. I have no other reply other than it is a country that God has put on my heart. And it really is true, how else could I love a place and its people years before I ever traveled there? 

While I realize not everyone has been given a land that they are passionate about and the love for the orphan that God gave me He has been teaching me that we are all called to help the orphan and speak out for them. It is found throughout the Bible: 
Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. ~James 1:27
Learn to do good. Seek justice. Help the oppressed. Defend the cause of orphans. Fight for the rights of widows. ~Isaiah 1:17
Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves; ensure justice for those being crushed. Yes, speak up for the poor and helpless, and see that they get justice. ~Proverbs 31:8-9
So while we may not all be at a place in our lives where we can adopt a child we are still called to do something. Here are a few ideas: 

Sponsor a child: There are some great Christian organizations that have child sponsorship programs, though I would urge you to research the organization before you sign up, some call themselves a Christian organization but do not actually share the Gospel with the children that come to their programs. Three of my favorite sponsorship programs are Compassion, Children’s Hope Chest and Gospel for Asia.  

Support someone who is adopting: We are fortunate to live in a day and age where we can have instant access to people in need of support for their adoptions. I love the concept behind Give1Save1, the idea is that if everyone gave a dollar they could save one child. They have a new family featured every week and have been able to raise thousands of dollars in the last year. My husband and I recently started Once Was Lost, a shop where you can purchase items (shirts, pillowcases, necklaces, etc) and 50% of all purchases go to our affiliates. I have even begun a Pinterest board called Gifts that Give a lot of the items on my board are made or sold by adoptive parents and the profits go directly to them.  

Pray for the orphan: Prayer is such a powerful tool and one that I find is so often overlooked in our society. I urge you to pray for the orphans and those out there that are helping them.  

Become involved: Pick an orphan ministry that you really believe in and contact them to find out how you can get involved, whether it is helping spread the word, support financially, go on a missions trip, or whatever their need may be.  

Ask for donations to be made in your name: Christmas is coming up and I know most of us have wishlists but not many items on there are ones we actually need. How about asking for items or gift certificates to shops that support adoption? Or asking that a donation be made to an organization in your name? Last year I asked for a donation to be made in my name to Serving His Children and the money my parents donated was able to provide for multiple malnutrition kits to starving children in Uganda. When I opened the envelope and saw how far the money they donated had gone . . . I remember thinking: this is what Christmas is supposed to be about
Oh, the joys of those who are kind to the poor! The Lord rescues them when they are in trouble. ~Psalm 41:1
I hope I have not overwhelmed you but have given you a renewed passion for fulfilling the call God has put on your life. I pray that each of you reading this will be able to help an orphan in some way and may God bless you for it. 
with love, Chantel

So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. {Galatians 6:9}

3 comments :

  1. Really grateful for all you are doing to help the least of these. That Christmas idea has been in my head for a little while too, maybe this is the year to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have no idea that november is orphan awareness month, thank for making me aware with this post. there are so many loveable children out there that don't have parents anymore and they need the love and care of other parents thanks for sharing with us the different ways we can care for them

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for guest posting on this Chantel! I can't wait to hear more about your own adoption story =D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.