October 20, 2012

To Know

What ends up happening to so many of us is that we spend so much time trying to put sin to death that we don’t spend enough time striving to know God deeply, trying to gaze upon the wonder of Jesus Christ and have that transform our affections to the point where our love and hope are steadfastly on Christ. The goal is this: that Christ would become more beautiful and desirable than the allure of sin. ~Matt Chandler
I'll admit it, I have this problem. And for the sake of me not feeling like a loner, let's pretend you nodded your head in agreement (whether it's true for you or not). 

I have a tendency to want to go into "holiness mode" when I feel conviction (or guilt, since I sometimes confuse the two... a lot). I cannot know God when I fixate on my sin. It all too quickly turns into a works based mindset: I must do ______ in order to get God to love me. I seemingly forget that Christ's death and resurrection already proves He loves me. That I'm already justified, and will continue to be sanctification through Him. That it's a process, not an overnight deal, and I have His help. That the burden to be perfect doesn't fall on my shoulders, but one that He took upon Himself.

I have a tendency to focus too much on the dirt and not enough on Christ's perfection, which is what washes me pristine clean, not my futile attempts and so called stain removal remedies, of which none work, end with me frustrated to exhaustion and throwing in the towel.

And when scabs are ripped off of old wounds, I have a tendency to run looking for other band-aids to stick on in order to stop the bleeding and prevent further infection, but they don't stick.

In those moments, if I can get quiet for just a second, I can hear the voice beckoning, "Come closer... Come closer and know." 

 

"I was made to live, I was made to love, I was made to know you..."
Come close to God, and God will come close to you. ~James 4:8 NLT

1 comment :

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.