October 11, 2012

Fantasy Fallacy Review

"Fantasies have deep psychological roots, and if acted on many of them can do deep psychological damage. Rather than let fantasies rule us, let’s take out the sting and bring them under God’s rule, allowing the Lord to heal us from the brokenness and insecurities that cause inappropriate fantasies to haunt us."
In The Fantasy Fallacy, author Shannon Ethridge responds to the popular book 50 Shades of Grey and it's phenomenon and themes. The author seeks to take a biblical point of view of fantasies, while dissecting the psychology behind them, in hopes of reclaiming sexuality as it's intended by God.

After reading Ethridge's book I had mixed feelings. I applaud Shannon Ethridge for being the one to step up to the plate to write this book, as it's subject matter is not one readily seen on Christian bookstore shelves or discussed, which it should be as it's a growing prevalent matter. I had read the author's previous book Every Young Woman's Battle, and knew she would be frank, but there were a couple of spots where I personally felt it was perhaps taken a bit too far, but at the same time a part of me thinks it was necessary. In addition, there were also times where I might have questioned some of theology that was presented (i.e. more focused on psychology rather than biblical counseling), but that could be me just being nit-picky. It's not that Ethridge is wrong in her theology, but rather it didn't seem as... deeply grounded in scripture as I would have hoped. In general, I think it could be a helpful book for those who struggle with the topics covered in the book (there are other books that I'd recommend before this one), but I question whether or not it's a helpful book for other audiences/readers.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”