September 26, 2012

Quote Dump


I've had a lot of quotes floating around on random scraps of paper, and since I hadn't shared any for a while here, I thought I'd dump some of them here today.

"I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It’s when you know you’re licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what." ~To Kill a Mockingbird

In friendship..we think we have chosen our peers. In reality a few year’ difference in the dates of our births, a few more miles between certain houses, the choice of one university instead of another.. the accident of a topic being raised or not raised at a first meeting— any of these chances might have kept us apart. But, for a Christian, there are, strictly speaking no chances. A secret master of ceremonies has been at work. Christ, who said to the disciples, Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, can truly say to every group of Christian friends, Ye have not chosen one another but I have chosen you for one another. It is the instrument by which God reveals to each of us beuaties of other’s. ~C.S. Lewis

I have the deepest affection for intellectual conversations. The ability to just sit and talk. About love, about life, about anything, about everything. To sit under the moon with all the time in the world, the full-speed train that is our lives slowing to a crawl. Bound by no obligations, barred by no human limitations. To speak without regret or fear of consequence. To talk for hours and about what’s really important in life. ~Unknown

If anyone tells you that a certain person speaks ill of you, do not make excuses about what is said of you but answer, "He was ignorant of my other faults, else he would not have mentioned these alone.” ~Epictetus

...if I die suddenly, my gravestone might appropriately offer this insight into my departure: "God got tired." I require lots of work. ~Beth Moore

To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it. ~G.K. Chesterton

The woman does not work because the man tells her to work and she obeys. On the contrary, the woman works because she has told the man to work and he hasn’t obeyed. ~G.K. Chesterton

The weakest believer and the strongest saint are alike equally justified. Justification admits no degrees. A man is either wholly justified or wholly condemned in the sight of God. ~C.J. Mahaney

4 comments :

  1. The quote by Epictetus is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! My favorite is the C.S. Lewis one, which I shared on my youth group's facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. “In friendship...we think we have chosen our peers. In reality a few years' difference in the dates of our births, a few more miles between certain houses, the choice of one university instead of another...the accident of a topic being raised or not raised at a first meeting--any of these chances might have kept us apart. But, for a Christian, there are, strictly speaking no chances. A secret master of ceremonies has been at work. Christ, who said to the disciples, "Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you," can truly say to every group of Christian friends, "Ye have not chosen one another but I have chosen you for one another." The friendship is not a reward for our discriminating and good taste in finding one another out. It is the instrument by which God reveals to each of us the beauties of others.”
    ― C.S. Lewis, The Four Loves

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.