July 19, 2012

The Scent of Water


This my friends has had my undivided attention in past 48 hours when I've had free time to read. Kinda wish it didn't belong to the library, but to me. Had I known about it sooner, I would've picked it up with my summer book allowance.

It's beautiful book though. It's a rare author who gets me to cry. Naomi Zacharias in her book The Scent of Water: Grace for Every Kind of Broken, takes you all around the world and shares the various experiences she's had in the brothels of Mumbai to the Red Light District in Amsterdam to an orphanage in Cape Town. And while she beautifully tells the stories of the people she meets in these places and more, she also weaves in her own story of brokenness and how it's through entering other peoples brokenness in some ways we find healing of our own. Naomi powerfully reminds the reader that there lies a beauty to every mess and tragedy. Trust me, you need to get your hands on a copy. I know I've used the word 'beautiful' and 'beauty' a lot here, but seriously, it is. Read it. And if you're anything like me, keep a hot cup of tea and Kleenex around, because it will cause you to cry. It is a heartbreaking read, but, again, beautiful, and covered with the fingerprints of a wonderful Redeemer. 

Now it's your turn! Tell me what's been the best book you've read recently =)

7 comments :

  1. I'm going to check this out!
    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book...hmm It intrigues me to no end

    Currently Reading Corrie ten Boom's "The Hiding Place". First time going through it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm adding this to my Amazon wishlist right now. I just finished reading a memoir called Front of the Class...it's been one of my favorite reads this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely adding this to my to-read list! Unfortunately I just placed a $250 book order in for our church library so it might be a little while before I can get my hands on this one. Two books I finished recently are Love Does by Bob Goff and Seven by Jen Hatmaker. I really enjoyed both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will definitely try to get my hands on this. I haven't been reading much lately!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooohh you have me intrigued. I can't say the last time I've cried over a book...I think I'll add this to my kindle list. :)
    Emily at Amazing Grapes

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks sooo interesting! I've got to read it! Working on Captivating right now (I've been meaning to read it for a long time and finally got it!) :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.