May 30, 2012

Preaching to Self

Preaching to ourselves is the personal act of applying the law and the gospel to our own lives with the aim of experiencing the transforming grace of God leading to ongoing faith, repentance, and greater godliness. -Joe Thorn in Note To Self
We need to hear the Gospel every day because we forget it every day. -Martin Luther
Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you sin turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation... -Psalm 42:5
One of many things I'm terrible at is the whole preaching to myself or what others have called "private preaching." Actually, let me rephrase that: I preach to myself all the time... just not what I should be, which is grace and the gospel. I've been thinking about Psalm 42 where we see David preaching to his soul often, which then reminded me of one of my favorite songs from Rend Collective...

2 comments :

  1. i LOVE this post. preaching to self is biblical...david commanded his soul to praise God! i LOVE this song too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.