May 3, 2012

Love Does by Bob Goff

I'm pretty sure you can't go wrong with a book that opens up with the line, "I do all my best thinking on Tom Sawyer Island at Disneyland." Right from the introduction, I was hooked with Goff's first book: Love Does: Discover a Secretly Incredible Life in an Ordinary World. Bob Goff has lived a life full of whimsy, adventure, and capers, and he does it all for the purpose of "leaking Jesus" to his family, friends, and strangers. In Love Does Goff weaves tales of how he won his wife's affections with PB&J sandwiches, taking his kids all around the world to interview prime ministers and presidents, becoming a consul for Uganda, helping a love-struck young man plan the perfect proposal, pulling off many practical jokes, and tons more. It's a book sure to keep you smiling, and conspiring your own capers.

Love Does was such a refreshing read as Goff points his readers back to the basics and simplicity of loving our neighbors. I read a lot of theology related books, that for the most part are rather "heavy" in their tone, but with this book I was able to just sit and relax while reading it. But, at the same time Goff challenges the reader to see each new day as an invitation to celebrate life and to share love with others, hence the title Love Does. As God's children we're called to love others every. single. day. Bob encourages you though to find fun and creative ways to show that to our friends, family, and even random strangers. It's a fast-paced, relaxed, inspiring read, and I love how before each story Goff gives one key truth about God he learned. I give this book 5 stars. In my opinion Goff is a wonderful storyteller who's laces humor and Jesus into his tales.


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

**Book Cover Image Via Booksneeze 

5 comments:

  1. great review! if i hadn't already purchased 15 books 2 weeks ago i'd be ordering this one now haha! well.. it's in my amazon cart so it's pretty close! based on what you've said, i'm super excited to read it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I requested it from the library, it'll be my first fun-read of the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the cover and the title sound amazing! thanks for your review. I'm going to try and find this book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adding it to the list. Thanks so much Natalie!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.