April 2, 2012

Handcrafted & Made in the Imago Dei



Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness . . ." So God created man in His own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. -Genesis 1:26-27 NKJV (Emphasis Added)
It's here in these two verses from Genesis that we're introduced to a doctrine called the Imago Dei, meaning to be made in the image and likeness of God. To be made in the Imago Dei means that both men and women...
  • Were designed to hold the glory of God
  • Are under the authority of God Almighty
  • Are blessed abundantly
  • Are equal in their essence, worth, dignity, and value
  • Are dependent on God
  • Are coheirs of Christ
  • Are adopted as children of God
  • Have dominion
  • Have purpose and a calling
The second thing we see in these two verses is that God made men and women different from one another. We each have our own distinctions and hard-wiring. God had intentionally made us different then men, and since this was prior to the fall, He saw this distinction as perfect, orderly, and without flaw.

Allow me stress something here ladies: You are equal to men, but you are beautifully and wonderfully different. Equality dose not imply that we're to be identical or exactly the same as men. We live in a culture that is filled with women constantly trying to fight for equality and to become more like men. From my reading of the Bible I don't see God discussing a ton on how men and women are equal, because in His mind of course we're equal! There's no question about it since He made us both in the Imago Dei! But God, does show us that we have differences and that there's an order in creation (something I'll talk about later). The fact that as women we have differences and are prone to certain tendencies, isn't to be frowned upon or discouraged, but to be celebrated. God celebrates the fact that women are different than men, and if God celebrates and embraces this, then we should too. God has called you His beloved daughter. If you ask any good father worth his salt, he will be quick to tell you that there's just something different and precious in having a daughter. Daughters are to be cared for, protected, cherished, delighted in, and lead with great amounts of love. This is what God wants for every single one of His daughters. And you know what? I find that the more I embrace and welcome this, the more I'm able to flourish and enjoy life. I am equal to a man, but as a woman, God molded and shaped my body, my mind, my heart, and my soul differently. To fight against that would be an attack on my self. Don't try to erase the uniqueness that God have gifted you with, but cultivate it. Back to Adam and Eve at creation...

I love how Catherine Marshall points out that Eve was fashioned differently than Adam in Genesis 2:22. Adam came from the dust, but here we see the Lord forming Eve from Adam's rib. Don't be so quick to brush past this. It appears that God is making her from a finer clay; as if to show that she's special. She's different from Adam. She's unique. 

Ladies, you are not common or ordinary and you are not plain. You were handcrafted by the very hands of the King of the universe!
For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them. -Psalm 139:13-16 ESV
How awesome is it to think that God specifically crafted you. That He took the time to place in you specific desires, dreams, delights, and secret joys for you to discover. That He gave you specific interests, likes and dislikes. That He ingrained in you passions. That He designed your physical appearance. That He chose exactly how you would laugh. That He crafted your very heart, and mind, and soul. All of which when put together would make you truly unique and different from anybody else. You really are a work of art.

Even if we grasp just a glimpse of that, does that not stir in you to praise THE Artist? When we start to see exactly how we were "fearfully and wonderfully made" it should lead to us praising the King. Why not celebrate that with Him today, and everyday?!

3 comments :

  1. I used to be one of these girls who'd fight against my femininity to try and 'be different' from all the other girls. But, as I'm growing older, I'm learning that God designed me as a woman and that is definitely something worth celebrating! Thanks for the wonderful post, Natalie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is beautiful. i adore being a girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. just found your blog through gennean...so thankful too! this series is so wonderful! blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.