April 16, 2012

Beautifully and Wonderfully Made

Today's post is from Breanne from resting on your love, where she blogs about her life and faith walk as a student and wife. Be sure to check out her blog and follow her!

Hi! I'm Breanne at resting on your love. Natalie has me posting here today to talk about a healthy body image. I am so excited to share what the Lord has been teaching me and I pray it encourages and inspires you. 

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full and well."

Psalm 139:13-14

Have you ever looked in the mirror and thought "oh, I really need to change "______" about me." "I'm not happy with the way "______" looks. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't and I'd be lying if I said I have a healthy body image 100% of the time. I'm not writing this because I do, I'm writing this because I'm convicted about the way I think about myself. This could probably be a whole series in itself and I will try and condense this to bring encouragement to you.

Who am I to tell the Lord He has done a bad job, or that I should look like so-and-so? 

"...your works are wonderful, I know that full and well."

I have always "struggled" with weight and having a somewhat emotional attachment with food. In the past couple months I started the H.E.A.L (healthy eating and abundant living) journey with Wonderfully Made blog. The book is wonderful and if healthy body image/food is something you struggle with, I highly recommend it. It challenged me to do away with "worldly" ways of thinking about food and my body. 

Here are 6 ways the Lord convicted me:

1. I should be more focused on achieving my God-given weight rather than losing weight. For all I know, the Lord may not have created me to be a twig. What I can achieve though, is achieving my God given weight by eating the right portions, eating when I am hungry, and stopping when I'm full. If I lose weight, that's awesome and if my weight stays the same, awesome. He still calls me beautiful either way. 

2. If I trust the Lord and believe in His words, then I need to believe that I am beautiful myself. How awful of me to tell Him that His creation is not beautiful. That is not my place.

3. I don't have to deny myself yummy foods but I do need to learn discipline in giving in to food temptations. What has worked for me is if there is a food I'm craving...like mint chocolate ice cream (my favorite!), then I wait three days. If the craving is still there, I let myself indulge in the treat. If it isn't, I avoided impulse eating. 

4. I finally saw food, eating, and healthy body image as an area of my life to give over to the Lord to have control. I'll be the first to admit that I never saw it as something to let God have control over and then I realized that it is absolutely mandatory that He have control of it because I fail so miserably when I try to control it myself. What ends up happening is I beat myself over a failed diet or giving into a food craving. That would lead to me feeling worse about the way I look. There is so much freedom when the Lord has control over how I feel about myself and what I eat. Thoughts of "Gosh Breanne, you are getting big. So-and-so's going to say something to you because you have gained weight," turned into "you are beautiful my child, you are perfect just the way I made you. Let's work on your heart " HE is the only one that can heal and restore me, not some fad diet that promises to make me look good. 

5. Often negative feelings and emotional eating come from a hidden sin. I've learned to let the Lord search my heart and see where the pesky sin is coming from so I can fix it. "It is in the light that our sin is cleansed and wiped away. I learned I must have a bare-naked heart that can be completely open and honest before God, myself and others" (pg 19 of H.E.A.L) 

6. The most important thing I have learned is that beauty really does come from the heart. I know I feel most beautiful when I am seeking out the Lord's face and praising His name. It isn't about outward adornments and I pray that I see my beauty from my walk with the Lord instead of what the mirror let's me see. 

I really hope you are encouraged by this and I pray if you struggle with body issues, emotional eating, or eating disorders that you seek out the Lord. Check out Wonderfully Made as it is a great resource into taking a journey of restoration.

Thanks again Natalie for letting me share! :)

5 comments :

  1. Thanks so much for guest posting Breanne! Love your honesty and your wisdom =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could download this, first into my own head (even though I am a guy) and then into the heads of my jr high kids (both boys and girls). Thank you for your wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the notion of a God given weight. And yes, I feel most beautiful and delighted in when Im seeking my Lord and loving Him :)) fantastic post, thank you Natalie and Breanne!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so wonderful... thanks for sharing... amen to # 6!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely missed this when it was originally posted. I love these thoughts Breanne! Will have to get my hands on that books. It sounds like a great resource! Thanks Natalie for inviting Breanne to post :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.