March 12, 2012

Pursue Theology to Know The Father

Theology and Doctrine are turnoff words for many people. Maybe it's because the words invoke images of stern faced men and women locked in dusty libraries reading from the likes of Calvin and Luther (which I personally think is cool, but that's just me...). Many of us tend to label theology as "pastors work," not something the average layperson pursues. But we'd be wrong in thinking this. Theology boils down to "the study of the character, attributes, and purposes of God." How could we even think that's not important? We cannot divorce loving God from pursuing truth. By doing so we're separating ourselves from the very heart of the Father. Studying theology and the Bible simply comes down to loving God with our minds (Matt. 22:37), which I believe will then bleed into loving Him with our hearts and souls. This is true, honest, heartfelt worship.

Pursuing truth is absolutely to be sought and found in the Bible, there's no question about that, but the dusty, hundred-year-old books written by our church fathers... That's only just one avenue of many in which we can pursue theology. Dead monks, priests, and pastors are awesome, but we can study God by enjoying nature, loving our family and friends, reaching out to the needy, music, traditions and rituals... there's a long list.

This fact remains: Every time you and I open our mouths and make a statement about God or we think or dwell on Him... we're being theologians. Seminary degree or not. The real questions are how good of a theologian are you? And will you study God?

3 comments :

  1. very well said Natalie! Personally I love studying even the book theology but I am sadden to see so many young people running from anything that even hints "theology" or "doctrine"! blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes, yes! Because theology impacts EVERYTHING. You never know when you are going to be "On the sacred ground of grief" (http://wp.me/p1Ut5W-ar) and without sound theology ... that is a hopeless place to be. Amy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.