March 14, 2012

God Cares About What You Care About

Let me preface this by saying I cannot believe it's taken me this long to get my friend David from Offset Innocence here on the blog! He's seriously a talented writer, and one day I hope I walk into a bookstore and see his work on a shelf. Be sure you go check out his blog after you're done reading this. I promise you won't be disappointed. He's to the point, convicting, but encouraging and there's  a richness and simplicity to his writing.

Do you believe God cares about what you care about?

Honestly? Is God really concerned with what concerns you: tests, the drama, car problems, family issues, finances? We assume the concerns of God are purely big-picture, spiritually-related dilemmas. He orders the cosmos, my being late to class cannot possibly blip his radar let alone be worthy of his attention.

But here’s the thing, He does. God cares about what you care about.

I’ve had this single phrase stuck in my head for a few years now. It sounds nice and seeker-friendly, but I am becoming more and more convinced that it is true even if I don’t have a mind like John Piper or a heart like Katie Davis. Why? Because of Jesus.
Two men call out to Jesus from the side of the road, “Lord, Son of David, have mercy on us.” The crowd jeered at these two blind men as they made fools of themselves. He doesn’t have time for you, go away. And so they shouted again, louder, “have mercy on us.” Jesus turned his attention and asked “What do you want me to do for you?” They answered, "Lord we want our sight." -Matthew 20:29-34
If you believe that God cares about what you care about then there are two areas in life which cannot help but be impacted and changed by that belief: Prayer and Provision.

Part of prayer is an opportunity to make our requests known to God (Phil 4:6). It is a chance for us to be vulnerable before God. Transparency is dangerous because it is very much out of our control, the other person sees everything and not in the neatly packaged way we would normally have it delivered. But prayer is not delivery to God - do not try to pray right, that’s trying to mold your heart with your mouth and that’s backwards. For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks (Matt 12:34). When you pray, pray honestly (Matt6:5,6). God does not want to hear about what you should want or how you should feel, he’s God and his standards are higher for yourself than yours will ever be. He wants the dirty transparent truth because he cares about you right where you are right at this moment.

And just because God cares does not mean he feels the same way about “it” as you do.

Pray expectantly but not stubbornly. Prayer will change things but also remain aware that your prayers towards things will change.

Now about provision. The Gospel of Matthew is ripe with examples of Jesus’ provision: healings (Matt 8:14-17), food (15:29-39), rest (11:25-30), forgiveness (everywhere), and so much more. And your need for provision informs your prayers (6:8). 

God cares about the whole person: body, mind, soul, speech, emotions. He enjoys sustaining as much as he enjoyed creating, and you honor God by your asking when it is done in faith. Knowing he cares incites the honest response he desires. A relationship cannot exist without honesty, whether it’s your neighbor or God – they want the real you.

God cares about what you care about because he loves you. And no matter how over-said that statement may be, it is not any less true or any less powerful than it was the day he showed it on the cross. He cared enough to die and he cares enough to listen and respond.
Jesus had compassion on them and touched their eyes. Immediately they received their sight and followed him. -Matthew 20:34

5 comments :

  1. Thanks again for writing this David =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I needed to read this! He did great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am flattered by that introduction! Thank you again for the opportunity to write for your amazing blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was such a good read. And a great reminder, especially with me right now. I've been really focusing on specific prayer, but I'm sure i could get more specific with Him.

    I firmly believe He cares about every aspect and not just the big things, too.
    Emily at Amazing Grapes

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been so encouraged by this. Every word hit the nail!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.