February 23, 2012

Ruth Outtakes: Get Yourself a Naomi!


We live in a culture that does not actively promote the idea of living in community. People in our society are becoming more and more isolated than they've ever been. And while I don't have time to go into that can of worms today, it has had an effect on how our relationships play out. When it comes to dating, our mentality has become one of "I'm following my heart." The thing is our heart can easily be lead astray causing heartache. At least from what I've seen, there's a huge lack of seeking wisdom and counsel when it comes to our relationships with the opposite sex.

In the book of Ruth we see Naomi giving wise counsel to her daughter-in-law on her relationship with Boaz (which I talked about more here.):
Then Naomi her mother-in-law said to her, "My daughter, should I not seek rest for you, that it may be well with you? Is not Boaz our relative, with whose young women you were? See, he is winnowing barley tonight at the threshing floor. Wash therefore and anoint yourself, and put on your cloak and go down to the threshing floor, but do not make yourself known to the man until he has finished eating and drinking. But when he lies down, observe the place where he lies. Then go and uncover his feet and lie down, and he will tell you what to do" And she replied, "All that you say I will do." -Ruth 3:1-5
Had not Ruth listened, received, and acted upon her mother-in-law's advice, would she and Boaz have still have gotten together? Because let's be honest, Boaz, like a lot of men, struggle with "sealing the deal." God used Naomi to get these two hitched. That should stick out to both you and I, because it shows us that God is at work in those who counsel us, and He will use them for our benefit.

Ideally the proverbial Naomi(s) in our lives would be godly parents, however we live in a world where many, many, many people do not have them. So we have to seek out others in our communities to act as our Naomi(s), and when doing so they should meet certain criteria.

What Qualifications Should Your Naomi Have?
  1. Above all else they should be actively pursuing and loving the Lord.
  2. They should have a grounded, bible-based theology so that they give you wise counsel.
  3. They should want the best for you and work for your ultimate good.
  4. They should know your heart and what your life looks life. 
  5. They can speak into your life in such a way that you actually pay attention to them and carefully consider their words.  
  6. They're willing to challenge you and ask the hard questions
  7. They're praying for you.
Finally, I'd highly suggest that your Naomi(s), for the most part be married women. It's simple: They already have a man of their own so they're going to have wisdom that single girls don't.

4 comments :

  1. you are so wise :) amen to everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great thoughts! Naomi definitely had the mentor role in Ruth's life

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought this was so great. Just today in fact, I sought after my own 'Naomi' and she indeed gave me sound Godly advice. Just what I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good points! i really liked this post!thank you !
    xoxo Mila

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.