February 15, 2012

Once Upon a Time: Breanne & Kendall

Today's post is from Breanne from Resting on Your Love. Be sure you pay her a visit and give her some blog love! I love her passion for Christ and missions, not to mention that she gives great book suggestions! 

Hi! I'm so honored that Natalie has asked me to share on her blog today. I love reading Natalie's blog, as she is always so honest and encouraging. Leave her lots of love. :)

I guess I should start off with an introduction of who I am. My name is Breanne and I am the blogger behind resting on your love. I blog about my life as a newlywed to my husband Kendall, our dog child Benaiah, and our journey to become full-time missionaries. Today, I want to share with you the story of my husband and I and encourage you single ladies out there!

I will start out by saying this, I am 20 years old. I really never thought I would get married this young as I thought after high school I would attend college and then move as a single girl to the mission field until whenever. I was definitely okay with the single life so that I had the freedom to travel and do missions wherever I wanted.

 Well, God had different plans for me. Doesn't He always?

I remember two prayers I prayed:

10 year old Me: "God, I know you are calling me to missions but I don't think I can go alone. I'm scared. If you want me to GO, let me marry young."

16 year old Me: "Lord, I'm done with dating. I will wait as long as I need to in order to marry the man you have for me. Don't let me date until it is the man I will marry." (this is when I thought I would just move to Africa the rest of my life)

3 months later, I met that guy with the tattoos  love of my life at a friend's home bible study. He was in college, I was in high school.

I really had no interest in him, and that feeling was mutual. I'm so glad I didn't. I really needed "me and God" time and some time to heal after a bad breakup. God was protecting my heart, keeping it for Himself so that He could mold my heart. Every Monday night though, Kendall was there. He was a new Christian and he was learning. We slowly started to become friends and we were just that for a while...friends. 

About 9 months after I met Kendall we started to talk more. We went to Starbucks with friends from bible study. We drank coffee and talked. I got to know him and his heart. I remember one day He said, "You know, I really just want to drop everything and move to the mission field."

um...yes, me too!

It wasn't long after that, maybe a month or so that I started praying about my relationship with Kendall. I didn't know why, I just was and little did I know, he was too. We prayed about it for a while and entered into what we call "getting to know your best friend time". 

Long story short, I stuck around for another year and really got to know Kendall. We knew it wasn't time for marriage and we had a lot of growing to do. We wanted to the growing apart so come Fall 2009, I moved away. I continued to get to know Kendall for another two years even though we were six hours apart. He proposed during Year One of long distance relationship and we were engaged for a long year and three months. 

We finally became one on May 21, 2011, 10 days after I turned 20.
Three weeks after we got married, we hopped on a plane and flew to the Amazon Jungle where we stayed for 2 months teaching English at a Bible School and being mentored by a missionary couple.

Our wedding day was so special, I pray (and I think it does) it captures the heart of relationship and our intentions of getting married. We didn't do it for us, we know that as a team we will bring God the most glory this way. We don't want our marriage to be about us, but about our Lord and Savior and what how He wants to use our marriage so that all nations have a chance to hear. 

**please excuse the awful writing on the car, our groomsman were bad. Don't worry, we got them back at their weddings. ;)

Don't lose heart my dear sisters. The Lord has the best plans for your life and He is going to lead you down the path that brings Him the most glory. Single or Married. Be concerned with His glory, because He deserves it all. During your season of singleness, pray for your future husband and let God mold your heart daily. Let Him teach you and don't grow bitter. Take advantage of your season of singleness so that you may serve the Lord to the best of your ability.

In Christ's love,
Breanne

**All written content is copyrighted 2012 to Breanne from Resting on Your Love**

4 comments :

  1. Thanks for sharing Breanne! Love how your wedding clearly showcased your passion for the Lord! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw so sweet! My husband and I used the first song on the video (Dancing in the Minefields by Andrew Peterson) for our first dance as a married couple. :)Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww thanks for letting me share natalie! so thankful.

    -Breanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful video and story... you seem so full of wisdom!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.