January 31, 2012

Thoughts on the Driscoll's Real Marriage

Mark Driscoll and his wife, Grace, examine what a solid, biblical marriage should look like in our world in their latest book Real Marriage: The Truth About Sex, Friendship, and Life Together. The book starts off with the Driscoll's exposing many of their own sins pre-wedding and in the first ten years of their marriage. From there they cast the vision of how God designed marriage to be all the while pointing to the gospel. 

Obviously, some will immediately turn to the The Can We_____? chapter which answers all the big sex questions the Driscoll's have received over the years. However, doing so and then skimming over the rest of the book, I think the reader cheats themselves out of the real meat of the book. The Driscolls have set up the book in order that they deal with the deeper marriage matters first before diving into the sex discussions, because whatever is taking place outside of the bedroom affects what happens inside the bedroom. All that aside though, my favorite portions of the book were the chapters that focused on friendship in marriage, roles of men and women, and the last chapter Reverse Engineering Your Life and Marriage, which gives couples practical questions in order that they build a foundation in which their marriage gets "better not bitter." Dricoll, as usual, makes his message an engaging and culturally relevant one, while adhering to Biblical truth. I'm convinced it will challenge all who read it to aspire to working towards a better, deeper, loving, Christ-centered marriage. I'd recommend it highly to both the marrieds and singles (yes, even the singles can glean from this book)!

Real Marriage the Book. Real Marriage the Sermon Series. Real Marriage Tour.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

2 comments :

  1. I skimmed through this book and wasn't particularly attracted to it. I'm not offended by it, I would just rather pick another book on the topic.

    Thanks for sharing your experience with it though

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks rather interesting... where do you find all your books and get them? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.