December 21, 2011

What I Believe

I believe in one, triune God, meaning that God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit are three in one. God has no beginning or end; He's always been and always will be. I believe God is the Maker and Creator of heaven and earth. God is omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient. He is holy, merciful, compassionate, loving, just, true, forgiving, generous, gracious, and judges.

I believe in His Son, Jesus Christ, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. I believe that Jesus came to earth, being fully God and fully human, and lived a perfect life. He suffered the brutal death and wrath of God that I deserved in order that I may have salvation and eternal life. He died and was buried, descended into hell, then after three days rose again from the dead. He then ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of God the Father, "where, as our high priest, he fulfills the ministry of representative, intercessor, and advocate."

I believe that the Holy Spirit indwells within every believer, convicting of us of sin, molding us into the image of Christ, regenerating our hearts, minds, and spirits, and leading and teaching us in the sanctification process. He is our comforter, counselor, and guide. "He produces fruit in us that does not earn our salvation, but rather that is evidence that our salvation has and is taking place."

I believe that the Bible (the 66 books the make-up both the old and new testament) is the inspired, infallible, and inerrant Word of God. Because I believe that the bible is the ultimate authority and truth, I stand under it not over it. I align myself, my beliefs, my values, my actions, thoughts, words... everything in accordance to the Scriptures.

I believe in seeing everything through the lenses of the gospel. With the gospel we no longer have to struggle to be free, but we're already free, therefore when we struggle there's grace. I don't believe that Christianity or faith is something we compartmentalize, but rather it seeps into every aspect of our lives. This also includes cultural matters that scripture doesn't really specifically deal with. When that happens we have three options: we can either totally reject it, totally accept it, or redeem it (See Navigating the Gray). Personally, I'm going to opt for redeeming as much as possible.

I believe in practicing and pursuing heart transformation not behavior modification. To find out more about this check out these posts: Heart Matters, What's in Your Hand?, How's Your Heart?, and The Woman from Samaria.

I believe that all Christians are to be on mission. After Jesus ascended into heaven he commanded us to go into the world and share the message of the gospel with everyone. You and I are called to be agents and witnesses of this message of redemption and reconciliation every day, wherever God has us, to whomever He places in front of us.

I believe that worship is not solely what we do in church on Sunday mornings, but rather the way we live out our lives.

I believe that as Christians we're called to live in community not isolation as is popular in our culture and society today. Community is to be more than just something we "do" on Sunday morning, but rather "doing life" throughout the week with fellow believers. This means coming alongside one another and loving, encouraging, challenging, caring and supporting each other through the good, the bad, and the ugly (and believe me it's going to get ugly). We're to share in each others burdens, sorrows, and joys.

I believe in a theology of biblical stewardship, not poverty nor health and wealth theology.

I hold to the complementarian view of women.

Some of my passions are adoption and orphan awareness, modern-day slavery and trafficking, biblical femininity, hospitality, seeking to worship and serve God through the arts and other creative venues, and finally helping others discover and progress in their God given passions and dreams as well.

To find out what I believe in regards to the role of the church (as well as more detail, and source of quoted material on some of the above points) go here. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.