December 15, 2011

It Just Needs a Little Love


Christmas Time Is Here (instrumental) by Vince Guaraldi on Grooveshark 
We have a long withstanding tradition in our household for as long as I can remember. If you were to look at my calendar you'd see a big smiley face on today's date because later this evening the four of us will gather in the living room with PJ's on, hot chocolate and the sugar cookies I'm going to get around to baking in hand, to watch the Charlie Brown Christmas special. I don't care how old you are, this is a classic and will always be. The message is timeless regardless of your age. Go watch it tonight. It's on ABC. You'll be glad you did.

It was an instant hit, much to the surprise of network executives, but surely not to me. (I assumed the whole world was watching!)  Creator Charles Schulz argued with the bosses at CBS over a host of issues. At the time of its creation, studio personnel thought it was too religious (Linus quotes Luke 2:8-14) and too amateur (all the voices were of kids, not professional actors).  They also believed the theme music was too contemporary for kids’ tastes (Vince Guaraldi’s jazz soundtrack is now a classic and instantly recognizable by all) and that the lack of a laugh track left the production feeling flat and too contemplative, but in an overly simplistic kind of way. Isn’t it interesting that all the things we like about it are the very things Hollywood didn’t? Guess the more things change, the more they remain the same. -Jim Daley

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, comments, and encouragements! =) I do monitor every comment I get so that I can comment back as much as possible.

Any comments I personally deem as inappropriate or disrespectful (and any spam) will be trashed.